DirectX Debug output not appearing in VS2003 Output window

Started by
6 comments, last by Evil Steve 18 years, 1 month ago
I've used DirectX's debug output many times before in VS2005. Now I need to use it in VS2003 because shader debugging is not supported in VS2005. Problem is, that the Output window in VS2003 shows the instantiation of the exe and other console output, but it doesn't show the DirectX debug output??? I have checked and DirectX Debug dll is definately set with Debug Level 4. Why isn't there any DirectX debug output in my VS2003 Output window? Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by axon
I've used DirectX's debug output many times before in VS2005. Now I need to use it in VS2003 because shader debugging is not supported in VS2005.

Problem is, that the Output window in VS2003 shows the instantiation of the exe and other console output, but it doesn't show the DirectX debug output???

I have checked and DirectX Debug dll is definately set with Debug Level 4.

Why isn't there any DirectX debug output in my VS2003 Output window?

Any suggestions?

The D3D debug runtimes just use standard OutputDebugString() which will send text messages to the debugger of any attached process. It's not like you have to register VS2003 with D3D for that functionality - I have made custom apps that get this output, too.

Are you sure all of your project settings are correct? If all else fails, you could try:

(1) Installing DXSDK again over top of both VS2003 & VS2005. I have had to do this in the past when things got screwed up.

(2) Reinstall VS2003 (yuck - but I have had to do this as well, too).

(3) Reformat (ok, not really :P )
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
Are you sure all of your project settings are correct?

It builds ok. Which proj settings do you think could be related?

Quote:Original post by circlesoft
If all else fails, you could try:

(1) Installing DXSDK again over top of both VS2003 & VS2005. I have had to do this in the past when things got screwed up.

(2) Reinstall VS2003 (yuck - but I have had to do this as well, too).

(3) Reformat (ok, not really :P )

I've done (1) & (2). (3) is not really an option.

I've done (1) & (2). (3) is not really an option.

Well, does the shader debugger work at least? Currently, I use VS2005 for normal dev, but when I need to debug some shader problem, I just drop back to VS2003. I don't really use it otherwise.
Yeah, the shader debugger is fine... looks like I'll be doing the same (2005 for normal devving and 2003 for debugging shaders).. which sux really. Frikkin MS.
Yeah, the shader debugger is fine... looks like I'll be doing the same (2005 for normal devving and 2003 for debugging shaders).. which sux really. Frikkin MS.

I don't find it to be that bad. All of the new features of VS2005 make it absolutely worth it to have to open up a different IDE once in a while. Besides, I have to keep both 2003 and 2005 projects in-sync for other reasons, as well. However, if you weren't obligated to do this, it would be a pain in the butt.
Maybe the MS Debug Monitor (dbmon.exe) can help you out. It's basically a console window, which receives the directx debug messages. I use it because its alot more comfortable to have the debug output in a seperate window instead of the vs ide.

Quote:
The debug monitor (Dbmon.exe) has been removed from the SDK, but it can still be found in the Platform SDK.

source - They removed dbmon from the directx sdk in the december release, no idea why. They say its still available in the platform sdk.

If you want a direct link and aren't afraid of exe-downloads I googled this for you. I checked it on my computer and its working:
http://www.genify.com/techniques/dbmon.exe

no idea if it solves your problem though, good luck! =)
----------------------#include "signature.h"
I've run into this problem before when I installed a newer version of DirectX. My debug runtimes were an older version (DX9.0b I think), and the release ones were newer (DX9.0c), so DirectX refused to let me use an older version of the runtime.

Tried downloading the latest SDK again?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement