Copyright Laws

Started by
10 comments, last by Raghar 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
Quote:Original post by Troll
I believe your information on torrents is incorrect. I believe I read somewhere that torrents do not violate copyrights. Other P2P systems due thus WinMX and others have been shutting down recently. BitTorrent avoids the same fate because instead of sharing copyrighted files directly, it shares torrent files which, although they contain information about copyrighted files, does not include any copyrighted material.

Napster tried a similar tactic, and look where it got them. That's the sort of handwaving that I despise...knowingly enabling somebody to break the law is no better than breaking the law yourself.
CM

I wasn't commenting on the ethics of copyright violation, merely the legality. If someone's interest is in avoiding criminal sanctions, it's more important to heed the legality of any action rather than its ethical implications. Depending on one's views, these can differ substantially at times.

I didn't know Napster tried a similar tactic. What did they try? They had centralized servers that matched people up which was a major part of their problem. Grokster and others like it operated legally well beyond the lifespan of napster because they did not have a centralized structure.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by alnite
If someone decides to take your code and releases it to the public domain, i.e. torrent sites etc, you can sue that person or basically anyone, including the torrent sites, who's illegally making copies of your engine for loss of profit.

Release on torrent sites isn't release to public domain. Release into public domain is imposible without clearly writen permision from the author of the original work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement