Sign in to follow this  
NickGravelyn

FreeType and FTGL for Code::Blocks

I am, however, having problems using the libraries with Code::Blocks. I added both libraries, include directories, and library directories to my project but I get these linker errors:

..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTSize.o):FTSize.cpp:(.text+0x16b): undefined reference to `FT_Set_Char_Size'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0xcb): undefined reference to `FT_New_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x23d): undefined reference to `FT_New_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x3ac): undefined reference to `FT_New_Memory_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x504): undefined reference to `FT_New_Memory_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x5ee): undefined reference to `FT_Done_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x6e2): undefined reference to `FT_Done_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x7d6): undefined reference to `FT_Done_Face'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x88d): undefined reference to `FT_Attach_File'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0x8d8): undefined reference to `FT_Attach_Stream'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0xa3d): undefined reference to `FT_Get_Kerning'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTFace.o):FTFace.cpp:(.text+0xab8): undefined reference to `FT_Load_Glyph'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTPixmapGlyph.o):FTPixmapGlyph.cpp:(.text+0xb6): undefined reference to `FT_Render_Glyph'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTPixmapGlyph.o):FTPixmapGlyph.cpp:(.text+0x372): undefined reference to `FT_Render_Glyph'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTCharmap.o):FTCharmap.cpp:(.text+0xa1): undefined reference to `FT_Set_Charmap'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTCharmap.o):FTCharmap.cpp:(.text+0x1af): undefined reference to `FT_Set_Charmap'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTCharmap.o):FTCharmap.cpp:(.text+0x311): undefined reference to `FT_Select_Charmap'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTCharmap.o):FTCharmap.cpp:(.text+0x393): undefined reference to `FT_Get_Char_Index'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTLibrary.o):FTLibrary.cpp:(.text+0x63): undefined reference to `FT_Done_FreeType'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTLibrary.o):FTLibrary.cpp:(.text+0x99): undefined reference to `FT_Done_FreeType'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTLibrary.o):FTLibrary.cpp:(.text+0x137): undefined reference to `FT_Init_FreeType'
..\Dependencies\Windows/libftgl.a(FTGlyph.o):FTGlyph.cpp:(.text$_ZN6FTBBoxC1EP16FT_GlyphSlotRec_[FTBBox::FTBBox(FT_GlyphSlotRec_*)]+0x58): undefined reference to `FT_Outline_Get_CBox'

I tried again at rebuilding the libraries with much better success using the project import tool of Code::Blocks. Now when I compile my program that uses the two libraries, I only get this one error:

Linking executable: SimEngine.exe
..\Dependencies\Windows/libfreetype2110MT.a(ftinit.o):ftinit.c:(.rdata+0x44): undefined reference to `otv_module_class'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)

Any ideas what that means and how I could fix it? I built the libraries in Code::Blocks using the GNU GCC compiler if that matters.

I checked my linker order. It's currently set to
FTGL
FreeType
OpenGL

My error is a little different from those in that thread. I'm not sure what exactly it's complaining about. It doesn't seem to be a function, but rather some type. Is it possible that FreeType somehow didn't build with that type?

For anyone getting the last error I posted, simply open up the freetype project, go into ftmodule.h and comment out the line that says

FT_USE_MODULE(otv_module_class)

Then rebuild FreeType and then rebuild FTGL linking to these files and libraries and you should be all set (it worked for me).