Sign in to follow this  
VB_master

Anyone still using Pascal?

Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone still uses Pascal for programming? It is pretty old language, but in my opinion, it has a nice structure and its pretty ok for programming noobs and beginners. I had been programming in Pascal and it is still being used in programming compentitions. I also wonder if there are any games made in Pascal and is anyone still making games in it? Thank you, VBmaster

For the most part pascal is a dead language - they're aren't many people using it these days. In terms of procedural programming, it is a nice beginner's language (it's the first language I did any "real" programming in). However, these days I wouldn't recommend spending the time to learn it's syntax.

EDIT: looking at dysplaced's post, it would appear people are actually using pascal these days - still, I think you'd be better off spending your time with another language

I don't use Pascal anymore, but I thought it was a brilliant language to learn how the basics of programming with. I think it might have been developed as a "teaching" language? I think it does that, as it provided me the ground to move onto different languages.

Guest Anonymous Poster
pascal is one of those "dead" languages. There are bits of its legacy lying around for example in windows programming. As with learning any language, once you learn one it is very simple to get up and running with others. I would recommend not learning it however because I have never come across a peice of Pascal code in my life that I had to deal with. That being said, I think learning C/C++/C#/Java/VB/(even Assembly) would be more benificial to you. There is nothing wrong with the language, its just that it is not really used anymore. Big companies used to use it, but now they have pretty much moved on. Spend your time learning something more "useful" and common. You will find more support for these other languages while learning and gain skills a job would most likely demand. No offense to the language or the people who use it, but I would imagine learning it to only be useful for porting legacy Pascal code to one of the newer languages.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Pascal as a programming language is not dead, it is currently called Object pascal and it is sell as "DELPHI" product, take a look to Delphi 2006:

http://www.borland.com/us/products/delphi/index.html

It has full .NET and win32 plataform support;

I am a professional Delphi programmer and i can asure you that what ever you can do with C++ or C# you can also do it with object Pascal, (games included), fast,easy and powefull.

There is also a free open source Object Pascal version called FPC, very powerfull and cross plataform, for 32 and 64 bit proccesors.

http://www.freepascal.org/

good luck.

Well, unfortunely I think Pascal is now some kind of "underground" language. The original language have envolved into some nice oop variations, like Delphi, which I still use as my main language.
There some pascal based communities around, like PascalGameDevelopment.
Also theres a nice open source project, called FreePascalCompiler.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
pascal is one of those "dead" languages.
..above is most certanly Untrue. Pascal is, as mentioned above, nowadays re namned to Object Pascal used in Borland Delphi. I've read quite a few articles from respected magazines about the increased use of Delphi.. So in that respect it seems fully "alive". [rolleyes]

Quote:
No offense to the language or the people who use it, but I would imagine learning it to only be useful for porting legacy Pascal code to one of the newer languages.
.. I would say this contradict the continued development and existence of Borlands Delphi, now running at Vers. 2006. [lol]

Pascal is indeed alive and well in many places, particularly in Europe.

It has been modernized quite a bit from its humble beginnings as a "teaching language", and to charcaterize it as a "dead language" "not worth learning" is quite unfair, let alone inaccurate. There's nothing significant that you can't do in it that you can do in most other high-level languages. Problem is, most programmers only ever learn one language, the most popular one at the time, and never look to see what else is out there.

Nowadays, the current iterations of the language include Delphi, Free Pascal, and several others. If you are interested in developing games in Pascal/Delphi, I would suggest Pascal Game Development. They even have a yearly Pascal game development competition.

I've been a Pascal/Delphi programmer for about 25 years, and I've not yet found anything I can't do with the language. :)

Talan