Sign in to follow this  
supersonicstar

How to initialize a D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F texture?

I use following code to initialize a D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 texture, D3DCOLOR temp; for( int j = 0; j <TEX_PREC; j++ ) { for( int i = 0; i < TEX_PREC; i++ ) { temp=density(i,j); (*(DWORD*)( (BYTE*)d3dlr.pBits + ((DWORD)d3dlr.Pitch * (j)) + (i*4)))=temp; } } I tried to change it to a D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F version. But it seems that there is no 16-bit floating point data structure for CPU program. Could anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks a lot. [Edited by - supersonicstar on March 15, 2006 10:31:29 AM]

Thank you,Scoob Droolins and neneboricua19, very helpful!

The second method may have a limitation when it comes to a volume texture. But it seems that Quadro FX 4000 GPU has the ability to render to a 3D texture(google:Technical Brief: NVIDIA HPDR Technology site:nvidia.com). However, according to dx docs(see:D3DUSAGE), the volume texture cannot be set as a render target.

Now I am facing such a problem: I have 256 slices of D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F 256x256 2d textures(I set them as render targets, and they store the rendering result). And I hope to export these 2d textures into a 3d texture. I have not figured out any good solutions.

Anyone could give me some suggestions?

Quote:
Original post by supersonicstar
But it seems that there is no 16-bit floating point data structure for CPU program. Could anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks a lot.
Yes there is - D3DXFLOAT16 [smile]

You might also be interested in this thread. It's a slightly different problem, but it's still related to reading/writing/manipulating FP16 data.

Quote:
Now I am facing such a problem: I have 256 slices of D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F 256x256 2d textures(I set them as render targets, and they store the rendering result). And I hope to export these 2d textures into a 3d texture. I have not figured out any good solutions.
So, if I understand you correctly you want to convert a IDirect3DTexture9[256] into a single IDirect3DVolumeTexture9?

Jack

Quote:
Original post by supersonicstar
Yes,I want to convert a IDirect3DTexture9[256] into a single IDirect3DVolumeTexture9.
Okay, have you considered the simplest possibility? IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVolumeTexture() and then use IDirect3DVolumeTexture9::LockBox() to manually compose the final volume texture, finally using D3DXSaveVolumeToFile() if you want it stored for later?

Probably won't be too speedy (especially as you're pulling data from (ex) render-targets), but you didn't mention anything about requiring it to fit a particular performance profile [grin]

hth
Jack

Thanks a lot, it works fine! Here the speed is not a problem (it is a one-off post-processing of 256 slices of rendering results).

I changed it to a 16-bit floating version:
	float x1,y1,z1;
x1=-(float(VOXEL_PREC)-1)/2;
y1=-(float(VOXEL_PREC)-1)/2;
z1=-(float(VOXEL_PREC)-1)/2;

D3DXVECTOR4_16F temp;
for( int k = 0; k < LAYER_NUM; k++ )
{
for( int y = 0; y <VOXEL_PREC; y++ )
{
for( int x = 0; x < VOXEL_PREC; x++ )

{
temp=density(x1,y1,z1,1);
DWORD overall_offset=pLockedVolume.SlicePitch*k+pLockedVolume.RowPitch*y;
(*(D3DXVECTOR4_16F*)((BYTE*)pLockedVolume.pBits+overall_offset+x*sizeof(D3DXVECTOR4_16F)))=temp;
x1++;
}
x1=-(float(VOXEL_PREC)-1)/2;
y1++;
}
y1=-(float(VOXEL_PREC)-1)/2;
z1++;
}

Now there are still two things I don’t understand:

(1) It seems that the range of D3DXFLOAT16 is 0-1, for example, if density(x1,y1,z1,1) return D3DXVECTOR4_16F(100.0f,5.0f,1.7f,0.5f), when writing it to texture, this value will be cut to D3DXVECTOR4_16F(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,0.5f).After I store the volume texture as file, and check the value of each pixel, I found that “1.0f” stands for “255”, “0.5f” stands for “128”, and so on.
I also tried D3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F texture format (and corresponding D3DXVECTOR4), the same thing happened.

(2) According to dx docs,

typedef struct D3DXFLOAT16 {
WORD Value;
} D3DXFLOAT16, *LPD3DXFLOAT16;

I’m confused whether D3DXFLOAT16 is a 16-bit floating-point type or a 16-bit unsigned integer type.

Anyone know why? Thanks.

[Edited by - supersonicstar on March 16, 2006 6:45:06 AM]