3d Models Animation

Started by
3 comments, last by ViLiO 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I have just a little question to ask.. Is there any 3d file format (.3ds, .ase, .wrl, .x, ...) which got a tutorial with source code that explain how to read it and display the model with the animations ? Don't answer MD2 or any format that looks like it because I need realtime animation. Thanks a lot, Ludovic.
Advertisement
You could be a little more specific [smile]

Which programming language do you use?
Which graphics api do you use?
Do you want keyframe vertex animation or skeletal animation?

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
I'm using OPENGL and program in C/C++.
skeletal animation I think. But give me both if you have.

Thanks,
Ludovic.
humm nobody knows :-( ?
If you were working with directx then loading .x files is trivial. X meshes can be saved as ascii so it would be quite possible to write a parser yourself.

I dont know of any free online resources for loading any of the other formats you listed. Gametutorials.com do sell a cd that has source code for loading a keyframe animated 3ds file.
[Edit: from the opengl forum faq there is this thread]

There is a gamedev hosted site (rsn) that had an animated ms3d (milkshape format) loader but the url's on the site are a little malformed up so you will have to do something like "copy link location" and then edit the url to remove the download tracker script that no longer exists/works. The files all still exist in the same place though so it isnt much of a task to get them.

The last thing I can think of are id's model formats (like the md2 format you dismissed). I don't know how you define realtime animation but all the quake games sure looked realtime to me [smile]
The lastest animated player model format from id is .md5 ...It is (i believe) an ascii format that has skeletal information and you could probably find some info on the format (and possibly a loader) on google with some searching. There is also of course md3 (the model format used in quake 3) for which exists a multitude of loaders and again some googling should turn up loads of hits. [grin]

Good luck,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement