Direct X Importer : Gmax

Started by
4 comments, last by Mastaba 18 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know were I can find an importer for X files in gmax?? You can export them using a combination of MDL exporters but is there any way to do the opposite? Also when using Vectors for translation in DirectX what is the conversion from the units Vectors use to Inches??
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by brwarner
Does anyone know were I can find an importer for X files in gmax?? You can export them using a combination of MDL exporters but is there any way to do the opposite?

GMax wasn't designed to be used in that way and I believe it violates the EULA.

Quote:
Also when using Vectors for translation in DirectX what is the conversion from the units Vectors use to Inches??

What would you like it to be? If you decide 1 world unit is a meter, then it is. If you want it to be 1 inch, then it is. All you have to do is be consistent.

Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
What I ment was in Gmax I am trying to find the radius of the model for camera positioning purposes but the units used in Gmax are not the same as those used in DirectX, how would I convert them??
It is perfectly legal to import any model format into gmax. Only exporting is limited, and thus the hack of multiple conversions. I don't know of any x file importers off hand, but there is nothing stopping you from making one in MaxScript. Though if you do that, you'll need alot of patience. [totally]

You may also try converting the x file to a 3ds file and then import that into gmax, ymmv.
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
It is perfectly legal to import any model format into gmax. Only exporting is limited, and thus the hack of multiple conversions. I don't know of any x file importers off hand, but there is nothing stopping you from making one in MaxScript. Though if you do that, you'll need alot of patience.

While there are ways around the limitation in gmax, using them is a violation of the EULA. There are plenty of free or cheap alternatives to gmax.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Quote:Original post by DrunkenHyena
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
It is perfectly legal to import any model format into gmax. Only exporting is limited, and thus the hack of multiple conversions. I don't know of any x file importers off hand, but there is nothing stopping you from making one in MaxScript. Though if you do that, you'll need alot of patience.

While there are ways around the limitation in gmax, using them is a violation of the EULA. There are plenty of free or cheap alternatives to gmax.

You are mistaken, importing does not in any way violate the EULA, if it did, why would they even allow MaxScript to open and read a file? All they did was disable saving, not loading. They even actively encouraged importers to be written, but obviously discouraged exporters. And with the last version of gmax, they included 3ds, shp, and dxf importers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement