Connectivity Graph for Iso-Tile system

Started by
1 comment, last by ZoomBoy 23 years, 2 months ago
I''m thinking of doing a connectivity graph to analyze my iso maps for quicker AI testing. That means breaking the map down into rooms(preferably square or diamond-shaped) and building a list of connections between the different rooms. In AI terms I just need to have the starting point and the end point and I can check that before going into an expensive A* search(used by both PCs and NPCs) So I need to figure out 1) what a room is 2) what room a tile is in 3) how to traverse the list easy, huh? Your thoughts? ZoomBoy Developing a 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my web-site
Advertisement
I suggest you take a look at this. It''s an alternative pathfinding algorithm which works similar to what you suggest (though not quite). It''s lightning fast, but it also requires precalculated vector arrays of your map which can be quite big. Still, it''s definitely worth a look for anyone writing path-finding algorithms on tile based maps.

cu,
Prefect

---
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Thx
I took a look at the web-site and it appears to be on-target for what I''m trying to do. Of course, the devil''s in the details and the high memory cost seems to be one of them. I''ll keep reading on because I might be able to make my own variation. But everything has to be weighed with what I want to do and what trade-offs are reasonable.

I''d still need to figure out how to break down my map into squares or regions AND other stuff. I''ve put it on my Favourites for deeper perusal

ZoomBoy
Developing a 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at
Check out my web-site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement