• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

CreateTexture(...) and SetRenderTarget(...) fails

This topic is 4358 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

unfortunately i'm having following problem. i created a texture that is supposed to be used as an render target: ... IDirect3DTexture9* pT; ... pDevice->CreateTexture(WIDTH, HEIGHT, 0, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_G16R16, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &pT, NULL); ... but i can't use pDevice->SetRenderTarget() to set the create texture from above as a render target, see the parameters of SetRenderTarget(): HRESULT SetRenderTarget( DWORD RenderTargetIndex, IDirect3DSurface9* pRenderTarget ); does anybody know a solution to this problem? i've looked on the web quite a bit.. maybe i'm just adressing the problem from the wrong way.. thank you.. if anybody wonders, why i just don't create a surface, there's a reason to it: the output stored in the render target will be input to the render pipeline again and i can only pass textures to the render pipeline and no surfaces, right?

Advertisement
You need to grab the top-level surface (I'd also recommend you set the 3rd parameter of CreateTexture to be "1" so you don't generate a mip-chain)...

// Make a backup of the previous RT
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 pPrevRT = NULL;
pDevice->GetRenderTarget( 0, &pPrevRT );

// Acquire the top-level surface
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 pTempSurf = NULL;
pTexture->GetSurfaceLevel( 0, &pTempSurf );
pDevice->SetRenderTarget( 0, pTempSurf );

// do some rendering magic here

// Restore the previous RT
pDevice->SetRenderTarget( 0, pPrevRT );

// Clean up
SAFE_RELEASE( pPrevRT );
SAFE_RELEASE( pTempSurf );

// Now use your original texture as an input:
pEffect->SetTexture( "texShaderInput", pTexture );

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
You need to grab the top-level surface (I'd also recommend you set the 3rd parameter of CreateTexture to be "1" so you don't generate a mip-chain)...

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

hth
Jack

jack,

thanks A LOT! that SOLVED one of my problems.. but i already have another one posted.. that i am stuck with for quite a bit now..

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=381359

christian

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement