Sign in to follow this  
DeskGlue

2D animating

DeskGlue    114
Hi. I am making a java applet, and there are animations that are going to be in it. How would i put an animation into it? At first i thought just use an animated gif. Is that allowed or should i make several images, and set a different image to the variable each time the thread is err... run? Or is there another more orthodox way of doing this?

Overseer    162
Quote:
Original post by DeskGlue
At first i thought just use an animated gif. Is that allowed or should i make several images, and set a different image to the variable each time the thread is err... run?
Well, that is how a [animated] gif does it, it is like a little slide show, with seperate little pictures that it cycles through. Not sure if java has native support for gif animation, but if it does and that is what you want to use, go ahead. If it doesn't, you can still write one, but you'll be writing the part that flips between the frames anyways, so you might as well allow it to support more easily generated files [like bmp's].

Honestly don't know enough about java applets to tell you if it has native support though, but even if it does, I'm assuming your animations won't just be single-sequenced, and you'll want the animation for one action to be different from another.