Java in the Work World?

Started by
16 comments, last by snk_kid 18 years, 1 month ago
I've never used Java, nor have i ever had a use for it. My general area of expertise is in webdev (Perl, PHP, etc) and C++. So i was wondering, what is Java used for in the "real word" work environment? What kinds of applications is it used for? Is there any reason why i should take the time to learn it? (possibly leading to a job using it?) If you have used Java for non-personal, non-acedemic applications, i'd like to hear from you. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
Advertisement
I've not personally used it, but my last job involved doing QA on a Java app. It was the UI for enterprise level network security hardware.
Java is used for lots of things; games, web services, web applications, desktop applications, mobile applications, embedded applications, etc. Since you seem to be into web development, have a look at these tools (which are my primary means for putting stuff up on the web):

Apache Cocoon
Spring Framework
Hibernate
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
The two main areas nowadays seem to be:

* Web applications (with Java 2 Enterprise Edition)

* Mobile world (with Standard or Micro Edition).

I have some experience with the former, and even though I'm not too fond of Java as a language, I have to say that it works quite well on the server side. The strictness does make things safer.
I worked at IBM for a year in Phoenix, Arizona at their web services department and ALL they used was Java. That's it.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
hey dude,

how have you been? its been a while.......

Java seems to be pretty popular in the NYC financial world.... i have seen it all over the place in that market.... there is some popular financial software that is web based written in Java - it has a distinct advantage in that you can build a windows styles app and have it embedded right into a browser, so no install is needed but all the flexability of a windows GUI is there.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
Is there any reason why i should take the time to learn it? (possibly leading to a job using it?)

No, unless you want to sell your soul to the financial/business sectors because that is where it's most popular but it's popularity is slowing down to languages like C#.

The only reason why it became popular was because of the Java hype train, the word "Java" became a new buzz-word in Business and was seen to be hip or cool to be developing software with it, typically by business managers who have absolutely no clue about programming & programming languages.

This was made worse due to the fact that some graduates where becoming equally clueless since there universities fell into the hype train too, they bascially brainwashed and dumb-down Computer Science (or any other computer related degrees) and there students by using Java as the main language (as in it's not the only one there taught but there main one will typically be Java, they will use in the majority of classes/modules/subjects throughout there 3/4 years of study). To find out more i recommend reading The Perils of JavaSchools.

Now the point of my post is popular does not necessarily mean good. The only merit of learning Java is maybe a wider employment opportunity for yourself but that is all.

[Edited by - snk_kid on March 16, 2006 4:38:03 AM]
Java is widely used in online banking applications, etc, plus various other applications of these big companies.

They usually use expensive commercial app servers, such as IBM Websphere or BEA Weblogic. These are very expensive and make the management feel warm and fuzzy, after they've been to lots of brainwashingmarketing presentations about them.

It's perceived as being more reliable, secure etc, than, say, PHP. I say "perceived", because this perception is largely false, i.e. you can write lousy code in anything.

On the other hand, many excellent online banking systems do exist in Java - I know that my bank certainly uses it, and the majority of others do too.

Mark
FWIW i believe from the latest survey, java was still the number 1 used language jobwise
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
Is there any reason why i should take the time to learn it? (possibly leading to a job using it?)

No

The only merit of learning Java is maybe a wider employment opportunity for yourself

now let's look at the question and think about this one again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement