Managed vs. Unmanaged (DX)...

Started by
5 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 1 month ago
I haven't done a lot of reading on the subject, but what are the differences between managed and unmanaged DirectX? How about managed vs. unmanaged C++? I did a little looking in the SDK but I really didn't see a decent breakdown of it. From my limited and weak understanding of things, managed DirectX is used with another managed language (managed C++, VB.NET, C#), and includes some things like automatic garbage collection. By the sounds of it, it almost reminds me of Direct3D Retained mode... Am I even close?
Advertisement
Sort of. If you are only using unmanaged DX, and you have no interest in learning c# or another managed language, I would reccomend just sticking to the unmanaged version. But, if you are using managed code for everything but DX, I would reccomend managed DX. Bassicly, it's like choosing ruby to perl. It is a matter of choice, and a matter of preference.
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
Managed DirectX is a wrapper around unmanaged DirectX. The languages that you can use with Managed DirectX are Managed C++, C++/CLI, C#, VB.NET, IronPython and other managed languages that you can run on the CLR (common language runtime). The CLR handles garbage collection (memory handling) and other things...

Unmanaged DirectX can be used with C++, VB6 and other unmanaged languages that can handle COM.

I hope this helps.
Take care.
Well, I thought about using VB.NET to create a level editor of sorts, I suppose managed DirectX could come in handy. Is it somewhat simplified compared to the unmanaged counterparts?
Quote:
Well, I thought about using VB.NET to create a level editor of sorts, I suppose managed DirectX could come in handy. Is it somewhat simplified compared to the unmanaged counterparts?

Most definitely. It is definitely alot simpler than unmanaged DirectX.
It sounds rather promising. By the sounds of things, it would be good for prototyping things very quickly.
Quote:Original post by Moe
It sounds rather promising. By the sounds of things, it would be good for prototyping things very quickly.
A lot of the usage for MDX that I've come across has been in the prototyping and/or tools sector. Sure, you can use it for other things - but it's those two areas that seem to be getting peoples attention.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement