Sign in to follow this  
nihonlvr

[.net] Mud in C#

Well I've been thinking about doing a MUD with some of my friends in the CS department at school. I'm kindof leaning toward doing it in C# and MDX. Is C# capable of a 3D environment with 10-16 players online at the same time (with a decent FPS)?

Quote:
Original post by nihonlvr
Well I've been thinking about doing a MUD with some of my friends in the CS department at school. I'm kindof leaning toward doing it in C# and MDX. Is C# capable of a 3D environment with 10-16 players online at the same time (with a decent FPS)?

Yes it is.

Arn't MUDs usually text-based through Telnet? If you're looking to make a MUD using Telnet as a medium, a Google search of "C# Telnet" will return loads of information on how to make a client.

The benefit of doing it through Telnet would be that the clients wouldn't need to download any software to play the multiplayer game. There are actually many online-based Telnet clients that could easily connect to your game server.

MUDs are the original multi user dungeon. They are generally text based but I guess that the term could be used to describe a graphical game. You'd get a lot of confusion over the usage of the terms though.

If you're looking at creating a MUD in C# "old school" style you could check out TigerMUD. For any game - text or graphical - the creation of the engine is only a portion of what you have to do. The creation of unique content must also be done and that is a challenge in and of itself. In that regard starting with a pre-established base might give you a larger sense of satisfaction more quickly than attempting to create from scratch.

If you're looking to create a graphical, multi user game then most certainly C# is up to the task. Keep in mind that 10 to 16 players are nothing more than 10 to 16 nodes on a server and there are plenty of programs out there that do that sort of thing in C#.