• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Converting an inputted hex to decimal

This topic is 4361 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Say I have an int: int i = 0x122; How can I convert it so that i = 122?

Advertisement
You're going to have to be a lot more specific. There's no reason to convert from 0x122 to 122, unless one or both of them is a string. Is that the case?

CM

First of all, Hex 0x122 != decimal 122, it in fact == decimal 290, and if you are trying to get a decimal value from a hex value, from a string to a integer, then personally I prefer to use lookup tables for each value [last time I did URL decoders, thats how I did it anyway] and just multiply the current value by 16 before adding the result of the next value to it. so you get something like

(((((1) * 16) + 2)* 16) + 2) = 290 = (1 * (16^2)) + (2 * (16^1)) + (2 * (16^0))
for 0x122

say if you did want to convert 0x122 to just 122, you could do this:

(in C)

char text[256];
int num = 0x122;
int newnum;

sprintf(text,"%x",num);
newnum = atof(text);

I think thats how you'd do it.

Sounds like you want to do BCD conversion.

Just use a BCD conversion function, like so:

Decimal = (BCD >> 12) * 1000 + (BCD >> 8 & 0xf) * 100 + (BCD >> 4 & 0xf) * 10 + (BCD & 0xf);

That will work for 16-bit values, you can of course turn it into a loop for arbitrary-sized numbers. Of course, if your hex values have invalid BCD numbers in them (ie, digits A-F), then it will give you nonsense data out. GIGO! :)

Going the other way is a little more expensive, as you have to use division/modulus operations to sort out the decimal digits.

Quote:
Original post by Talan
Sounds like you want to do BCD conversion.

Just use a BCD conversion function, like so:

Decimal = (BCD >> 12) * 1000 + (BCD >> 8 & 0xf) * 100 + (BCD >> 4 & 0xf) * 10 + (BCD & 0xf);

That will work for 16-bit values, you can of course turn it into a loop for arbitrary-sized numbers. Of course, if your hex values have invalid BCD numbers in them (ie, digits A-F), then it will give you nonsense data out. GIGO! :)

Going the other way is a little more expensive, as you have to use division/modulus operations to sort out the decimal digits.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement