Terrain Engine

Started by
28 comments, last by kapru 18 years, 1 month ago
Here is my latest terrain project.(sorry no idea how to link a picture) press 'o' to change the light source direction. Hold the right mouse button to look around wasd to move http://members.iinet.net.au/~fitz9/engine.zip What do ya think of it so far. And the main 2 questions what is the best way to join up the terrain patches that have different detail levels? Currently ive set it to not render the border tiles. And in my shader how do i set it to render wireframe
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kapru
Here is my latest terrain project.(sorry no idea how to link a picture)
just like you'd do on a HTML page: upload the picture somewhere, then write an >img src="URL"< in the text (with > and < reversed).

Quote:What do ya think of it so far.
On my machine, parts of the terrain are black. Also, the gaps are very noticable at the borders. It runs at around 3-5 FPS on my GF7800GTX, so it'll definitely need some optimizations in the future. But at the places it works good, it looks good! [smile]
Oh, and next time, please choose a starting camera position that is not under the terrain but instead one that provides a good look at the scenery :)

Quote:
what is the best way to join up the terrain patches that have different detail levels? Currently ive set it to not render the border tiles.
The article called "Terrain Geomorphing in the Vertex Shader" by Daniel Wagner in ShaderX2 - Tips and Tricks is a must read for you. It gives a solution right to this problem.

Quote:And in my shader how do i set it to render wireframe
You don't set it in the shader, you have to set the D3DRS_FILLMODE renderstate to D3DFILL_WIREFRAME.

kp

------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
I get an error on both my ATI X700 and X300 (Failed to lock Patch Vertex Buffer).

You can set the fill mode in you effects file using
FillMode = WIREFRAME;

I believe (or FILL_WIREFRAME, I'm not sure).

Edit: A quick search of google shows a result that uses the first one, so I'd say thats the right way.

HTH!
I get ~60fps regardless of where I am, but the terrain is completely chopped up, and many of the patches I can see are black. Changing the light direction appears to work fine for the terrain patches that render correctly. As mentioned, the starting camera position needs to be set! The detail is very nice though!

Edit: I tried to take a screenshot, however your program seems to be intercepting the printscreen key event...

Anyway, I noticed from this it doesn't recover from a lost device correctly. No errors though, it just doesn't continue rendering the terrain.

Radeon 9600XT.
its a pritty rought copy. I'll upload a new version tomorrow that fixes most of the problems
it runs on my pc (radeon 9800pro, AMD64 3200+)
with frames from 60-130...

but the terrain was missing parts until I came
very close to it...

Marc
Sorry, goes to fullscreen then finishes.

Athlon 2400+, crappy Nvidia FX5200 gfx

Si
Ive uplodaed a new version.

I thing i covered all issues

No u can press M to go into wireframe mode
Very good work, all bugs appear to be fixed for me!

As you said, there is still patch gaps between the different LOD levels though.
I have the same problem as sipickles, using:

Intel Pentium P4 1.6 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement