[.net] "external" shortcuts

Started by
5 comments, last by Froztwolf 18 years, 1 month ago
Hey hey. Im writing a small text-management C# proggie that sits in the system tray and the idea was to be able to paste text from it through external shortcuts. Example: You have your email program open in front of you and press alt+ctrl+n to paste your "sorry-no jobs available" reply that you wrote months ago and don't feel like writing again three times a day. Or maybe you keep answering the same questions on msn. ctrl+alt+r for your standard reply. My point is, does anyone know whether such "external" shortcuts are possible and if so, where would I find info on using them?
I´ll take that Turing test anyday!
Advertisement
ScreenCap sits in the system tray and takes screenshots when you press a key. Although it is completely different then the program you are trying to create, it comes packed with a neat keyboard event listener class. The source is available from the website.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
You would have to get the handle of the focused window, the handle of the text control and preform a paste to it.

That is what I think anyways. Certainly do-able.
Google around for Windows Hotkeys. You'll need to do some P/Invoke with the Win32 API, but it's fully possible.
Cheers guys. I'm going to check out Screencap to see how they do it and see if I can utilize Windows Hotkeys.
Getting the handles of a focused window and the text control should be possible, if not easy, right?
I use the following to get the handle of the focused window:

using System.Runtime.InteropServices;[DllImport("user32.dll")]private static extern IntPtr GetForegroundWindow();

I would bet that you could either find a function to get the window the caret is focused in or get the active child of the foreground window.

Even simpler then I dared hope! :D
Thx alot

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement