Sign in to follow this  
DanMarshall

[ANN] - "How to Make a Game" Blog

DanMarshall    184
Hi guys-- As some of you may know, I've been writing articles for PCZone magazine about how to write a game. It basically chronicled my progress from know-nothing layabout gamer, to having my own game to show off. Anyway, they've very kindly let me post the original articles in my blog. I'll be be posting all six over the coming days. Gibbage Blog It's of minimal educational value, and you're all obviously well past this phase of learning to code. But it might make for an entertaining read for those of you who are either too tight to buy PCZone or live in a different country and want to check out what we crazy limeys get up to in our spare time. Parts one, two and three are up now, and part four will go up later today. That covers learning to code, sprite manipulation, physics and getting an engine up and running. Please do leave me comments on the site with what you think. All the best, Dan

BigFreak    184
Hehe. I did. Great stuff.

One thing: Reduce your opponent’s heath to zero and they’ll [..]

...sorry. Hehe. But yeah, nice one matey :D

DanMarshall    184
Oh my God a typo! Thanks for that! I hope Sefton caught that before it went to press...!

And please do leave me comments on my blog. It's my first and I get all excited when there's a comment on my blog.

Parts Five and Six are up tomorrow, and from then on I'll be writing all new material for the blog, so be sure to bookmark me and keep checking back!

Dan

DanMarshall    184
Thanks Anthem.

Apologies for the bump.

Just thought some of you might like to know that all six articles are now up and primed for your enjoyment.

This takes us right up to the tricksy subject of Artificial Intelligence, and there are some pleasant snaps of Gibbage to look at and make "oooh" noises. Like with fireworks.

Leave me comments on the blog if you've enjoyed them. I'll be writing new, original material from now on, which is quite exciting. It's doubtful, however, that I'll manage to keep up two posts a day... I have a full-time job in the glamorous television industry to do here. Which, come to think of it, I should probably get back to doing.

Anyone want to be on TV? No?

All the best, and support is much appreciated,

Dan

ps I'm also having a go at Portals, now. And rightly so, I feel.

Gibbage Blog: How to Make a Game

[Edited by - DanMarshall on March 17, 2006 12:33:17 PM]

Sign in to follow this