Sign in to follow this  
jjd

Global lookup

I have a property that I expose to the user through an enum (I'm using C++ FYI). Basically, the enum contains a bunch of qualitative options so that the user doesn't have to worry about raw numbers (designers... [rolleyes]). Now, I want to create a lookup table of the values that the various enum terms correspond to and I wanted to know what is a "good" (read: safe, design friendly, not make me look like-the-n00b-I-am) way of doing this?

Quote:
Original post by jjd
I have a property that I expose to the user through an enum (I'm using C++ FYI). Basically, the enum contains a bunch of qualitative options so that the user doesn't have to worry about raw numbers (designers... [rolleyes]). Now, I want to create a lookup table of the values that the various enum terms correspond to and I wanted to know what is a "good" (read: safe, design friendly, not make me look like-the-n00b-I-am) way of doing this?
I don't presume to have an answer, but I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by a lookup table in this context. Do you mean mapping the enum values to some other set of values, or perhaps vice versa?

Quote:
Original post by jjd
That's right, a one-to-one mapping between the enum values and a bunch of other numbers.
std::map<>?

[Edit: That's assuming the enum-values are non-contiguous and/or don't start at 0. Otherwise a simple array might suffice.]

Yeah, that's the obvious first approach but I don't really want to create a global variable that I will have to pass among all the projects in our game. I was hoping there might be some subclassing magic that I could invoke.