Sign in to follow this  
Davood

video cards

Hi, Which of the two following video cards do you recommend for doing heavy projects with OpenGL? Do they both support OpenGL? ASUS EN7800GTX GEFORCE 7800 ULTRA 256MB DDR3, 256BIT, VIVO PCI Express GeForce 7800GTX 256MB w/ TV-Out, DVI Any comment is warmly appreciated! Best regards, Davood

They both support opengl (2.1 iirc).

The GTX is a higher model than the ultra.

Asus is a fairly good manufacturer (assuming both of your listed cards are asus and not just the ultra). I prefer PNY myself, but aside from overclocking most geforce cards are going to be almost identical performance wise.

I don't know how much you know about computers so I'll warn you of 2 things:
1. Make sure your motherboard has a pci-express x16 slot.
2. Make sure you have a sufficient power supply. I can't stress this one enough - bad or insufficient power will not only make the computer unstable or unusable, but it will drastically shorten the life of the computer components. The 7800gtx requires at least a 550w power supply with a seperate 12v rail for the card(s). Be careful when choosing a power supply - lots boast features they can't really provide (ie a "600watt" psu for $20 probably doesn't provide the right voltages on the 3, 5, 12v rails).

I'd also like to say that unless youre developing stuff that's the same graphical quality as games like Fear, Doom3, etc - you won't need a card that powerful/expensive.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by c0uchm0nster
2. Make sure you have a sufficient power supply.

and 3.Do not install such a card in a minitower it could become too hot.