A*

Started by
7 comments, last by Timkin 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello, how does A* search work? Are alternative methods for generating the nodes? And when should I use it?
Advertisement
The A* pathfinding search works by simply arranging nodes of coordinates into a graph and using a heuristic to calculate the exact distance to the goal at each node. The final goal is to find out how to get from somewhere you are to somewhere you want to be, without bumping into walls or going too far.

There are many methods for generating nodes and the code involved in this would be too much to paste, but I'll provide some good links and a sample Node class.

A* algorithm tutorial

List of pathfinding links

Here is a very basic Node class that should be modified to better fit your game:
class Node{  public:     Node *parent; // parent of successor nodes     Node *child; // ability to view the search in reverse		     float g; // cost of this node plus it's predecessors     float h; // heuristic estimate of distance to goal     float f; // sum of cumulative cost of predecessors and self and heuristic     State NodeState; // current state of node};

Thanks! I will investigate the links!
Quote:Original post by rlange
The A* pathfinding search works by simply arranging nodes of coordinates into a graph and using a heuristic to calculate the exact distance to the goal at each node. The final goal is to find out how to get from somewhere you are to somewhere you want to be, without bumping into walls or going too far.

There are many methods for generating nodes and the code involved in this would be too much to paste, but I'll provide some good links and a sample Node class.

A* algorithm tutorial

Here is a very basic Node class that should be modified to better fit your game:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Actually, the heuristic simply estimates the distance to the goal, it doesn't calculate it exactly.
what are the benefits and drawback of using A*?
Intelligent Pathfinding
contains benefits and limitations.
Thanks! I will look in to it.
Quote:Original post by yaroslavd

A* algorithm tutorial

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Actually, the heuristic simply estimates the distance to the goal, it doesn't calculate it exactly.

Yes, estimate is a much better word. Let me try again.

'... using a heuristic estimate to find the distance to the goal at each node.'

There we go...
'... using a heuristic estimate to find the distance to the goal at each node.'

'heuristic estimate' is unecessary. A heuristic is, by definition, an estimate, because it describes the use of an approximating rule to generate an answer for an unknown problem (in this case the cost function between a leaf node and goal in a search).

Cheers,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement