Sign in to follow this  
chadsxe

Picking a 3D engine to do an assignment with...(I am not asking for homework answer)

So I just started my next term at school and I was given a project that I have to have completed in 5 weeks. I basically have to pick a 3D engine of my liking and demonstrate it's functionality. We were ecouraged to not use the Torque engine because this is what we will be working with for a lot of other assingment. So basically it's a "go learn something on your own type of thing". Which of course leads me hear. Keeping in mind this is my first time ever diving into a 3D engine what one would you suggest. I am guessing something with good documentation. I know there are few popular ones out that but I am still a little lost... Ogre 3D is one that I see coming up a lot... This is an overview that was given to me. Have students download, compile, and modify a 3D game engine. First, research the internet and/or library resources for information on Game Engines that are currently used in the video game industry. Then, the student will pick a 3D engine that can be used to satisfy the requirements of the assignment. The 3D engine should provide: 1. Source code so that the student can compile and modify the engine. 2. Enough documentation to describe key components and provide enough detail that the student can build, run, and demonstrate the engine. 3. Enough documentation so that the student can easily modify the functionality of the engine. Once a 3D engine is chosen, the student will download, compile, and demonstrate the engine in class. The student will discuss and show any key features or functionality presented in the engine demonstration. Finally, the student will modify part of the game engine, either by adding new functionality or modifying already existing functionality.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'd probably just write my own engine and use that...

btw... '3d engine' is kinda vague
do they mean, graphics, or physics, or... Quake Mods?

is this one of those DigiPen schools or something? seems like a funky assignment...

OGRE 3D is a dream if you're simply trying to get a good looking game done in my opinion. You might also want to look at OpenSceneGraph, as it's fairly good itself. These days, the more shader functionality an engine has, the "better" it is.

Since you're just starting, I'd use OGRE 3D. Simple, easy, fast.

I quite enjoy OSG (http://www.openscenegraph.org), but it is arguable whether it can be considered as a 3D engine, or just a scene graph library. Anyway, the code is very clean, documentation is good enough, and there are plenty of examples. It is probably less messy than Ogre, as it is more focused on providing only a scene graph.

Quote:
Original post by Myra Mains
if you are ok with C++ then I would go with Ogre otherwise you might want to look at Axiom which is just like Ogre but built in C#

Yeah I am fine with C++....I have been suggested this by a few diffrent people....how is the community and documentation with Orge..

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I'd probably just write my own engine and use that...

btw... '3d engine' is kinda vague
do they mean, graphics, or physics, or... Quake Mods?

is this one of those DigiPen schools or something? seems like a funky assignment...

Well as you may noticed the assignment is pretty open ended....

BTW I am in school for software enginerring as my major, and game-development as my minor....

Quote:
Original post by small_duck
I quite enjoy OSG (http://www.openscenegraph.org), but it is arguable whether it can be considered as a 3D engine, or just a scene graph library. Anyway, the code is very clean, documentation is good enough, and there are plenty of examples. It is probably less messy than Ogre, as it is more focused on providing only a scene graph.

Hmm.....I guess Orge might be the way to go. Seeing that there is plenty of examples I am sure I can pick it up quickly enough....

Thanks

Chad

I don´t know much about Ogre, but Irrlicht (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/) is a very nice rendering engine which comes bundled with a bunch of tutorials. You might want to give it a try, too.

--Nacho

I've looked at both Ogre and Irrlicht engines in the past, many moons ago now though..

But in my oppinion:

* Ogre is more technically advanced and the most powerful of the two (your better choice for a commercial game).
* Both engines are well documented and easy to get going with.
* I would imagine that when it comes to actually modifying the functionality that Irrlicht would be the easier option there, Ogre is a much bigger beast and more complex.

To summarise more.. if those are the only assignment criteria (perhaps unlikely?) then Irrlicht might be better as it is easier to understand/modify (and has more you can improve on) but if you get extra credit for functionality or for more closly meeting industry standards then Ogre is probably the route to go.