difficult time using boost::regex, simple parsing

Started by
32 comments, last by Tradone 18 years, 1 month ago
this is impossible. can somebody recommend me an easy link to a quick and dirty guide to boost spirit? edit: originally thought spirit was the solutions to by problem, but found that regex can do the same thing (and regex was much easier) [Edited by - Tradone on March 17, 2006 10:50:26 AM]
Advertisement
Isn't Boost.Spirit offical docs enough already? thats probably the reason why information on it is sparse since i believe there docs pretty much cover everything, there should be a quick calculator example around there.
There is also some info at CodeProject...
what would you like to parse?
wow, they expect me to understand all that technical and that hard to understand manual?
I'm not at that level yet (talking about level, how good do I have to be in C++ to understand that? I just learned about the STL 2 weeks ago), and I've seen the tutorial on code project already and boy I can't understand it in a quick nutshell.

I would like to parse something like this on runtime.

($set cfg.hello=I am a newb)($set cfg.hello2=cfg.hello)($cfg.hello2)($if cfg.hello=cfg.hello2)  ($set cfg.hello2=I am a C++ pro)($else)  nope!($endif)($if cfg.hello=cfg.hello2)  nope!($else)  yippie! I'm a pro now!!($endif)

output: yippie! I'm a pro now!!

I mean if I have to read the whole thing, I guess I have to.
but if I can do without it, I'd like to just know an easy way around it.
Quote:Original post by Tradone
wow, they expect me to understand all that technical and that hard to understand manual?
I'm not at that level yet (talking about level, how good do I have to be in C++ to understand that? I just learned about the STL 2 weeks ago), and I've seen the tutorial on code project already and boy I can't understand it in a quick nutshell.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

You should pursue spirit if it interests you, but IMO it's not that easy to get into, especially if you don't already have a strong background in the STL, template programming, and perhaps the boost library in general. It is, as you note, very technical.

You might have an easier time with boost::tokenizer<>, which isn't nearly as powerful as spirit, but has some nice features and is very easy to use.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

It almost seems as though you're looking for code that you can copy+paste+edit to suit you. The Boost::Spirit documentation is about as simple as I expect you're going to get for a rather complicated parsing library. They don't expect you to understand the entire manual, or even every single feature of the library, but you should definitely read the FAQ, Quick Start, and maybe Quick Reference. Use other sections of the manual to expand upon the ideas presented in those sections if you're still unclear about things.

However, if you want something a bit more simplistic, you could certainly look at Boost::Tokenizer, or possibly Boost::Regex.
thank you masters.

Yes, it was difficult to understand.
I guess I should not get into spirit, for now and perhaps just use the tokenizer.

Then I believe I can't parse them on runtime from a file containing the above source code. (Well, once I get better in C++ (god knows when), I can perform the upgrade then)

Boost::Regex vs Boost::Tokenizer

Which do you think is better for my scenario?
and another question, how good do I have to be in order to understand Boost::Spirit?

tokenizer<> is about as simple and straightforward as it gets, so if it meets your needs and ease of use is what you're after, I'd go for that. boost::regex is a little more complicated, I think.
Quote:and another question, how good do I have to be in order to understand Boost::Spirit?
An easy way to find out is to study the documentation and see if you understand it :-) This is just IMHO, but personally I wouldn't try to tackle it unless you're already comfortable with the STL and at least reasonably proficient in template programming techniques.
Quote:Original post by jyk

tokenizer<> is about as simple and straightforward as it gets, so if it meets your needs and ease of use is what you're after, I'd go for that. boost::regex is a little more complicated, I think.
Quote:and another question, how good do I have to be in order to understand Boost::Spirit?
An easy way to find out is to study the documentation and see if you understand it :-) This is just IMHO, but personally I wouldn't try to tackle it unless you're already comfortable with the STL and at least reasonably proficient in template programming techniques.

I'll take your advice and not tackle it.
I'll come back to it next time when I think I'm up at that level :D
so Regex it is.
reading the first example and just looks like the same thing as string.find() so far...
we'll see...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement