PACMAN tile collision (PLEASE HELP ME!!!)

Started by
1 comment, last by CHiEF 23 years, 2 months ago
Just wondering if anyone could help me with this pacman style game I was trying to work on... It''s driving me nuts! The basis of the game currently works fine - my tiles are 32x32 pixels, as is my pacman. The level is represented by 1''s and 0''s. At the minute, when the pacman is moved, I am shifting him by 32 pixels each time. The collision detection I''m using for this is simple - just detect the new coordinates when the direction key is pressed and if the new location is equal to a 1 then the pacman coordinates will be moved back by 32 to ensure he can''t move. The problem I now face is that I want it to be more ''smooth'', and have the pacman moving just 1 pixel at a time. I''ve tried and tried with this but I just can''t understand the collision detection I would need. My source code can be found at: http://members.fortunecity.com/n9951788/ If anyone can help it will save me from going bald at an early age! cheers. ..CHiEF/AsylumX..
..CHiEF/AsylumX..
Advertisement
quote:Original post by CHiEF

Just wondering if anyone could help me with this pacman style game I was trying to work on... It''s driving me nuts!

The basis of the game currently works fine - my tiles are 32x32 pixels, as is my pacman. The level is represented by 1''s and 0''s. At the minute, when the pacman is moved, I am shifting him by 32 pixels each time.

The collision detection I''m using for this is simple - just detect the new coordinates when the direction key is pressed and if the new location is equal to a 1 then the pacman coordinates will be moved back by 32 to ensure he can''t move.

The problem I now face is that I want it to be more ''smooth'', and have the pacman moving just 1 pixel at a time. I''ve tried and tried with this but I just can''t understand the collision detection I would need.

My source code can be found at:
http://members.fortunecity.com/n9951788/

If anyone can help it will save me from going bald at an early age!

cheers.

..CHiEF/AsylumX..

You could check out the Project-2: Threads in this forum:
Hands-On Interactive Game Development

The threads are alphabetized instead of my last post. Just start with the Overviews first.

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Cheers dude, that was a great help! I''ve been searching for that kind of info everywhere! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - my hair has been saved.

..CHiEF/AsylumX..
..CHiEF/AsylumX..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement