• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lucidquiet

[web] I'm getting weird errors with the 'mailto' link

This topic is 4454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've setup a 'mailto' link on one of my pages, but sometimes the mail is going through, and sometimes there is an error on the user/client's side... Can anyone give me an idea as to what is causing this? L-

Advertisement
Is this in plain HTML, or using a server side scripting language like PHP or JSP?

Dave

Are there any weird characters (non-latil or non-ASCII) characters in your e-mail address? If so, how are they encoded?

<a href="mailto:me@mydomain.com">me@mydomain.com</a>

It's on a plain HTML page with something exactly like the above. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, but that's pretty much it. Some people have said they are getting errors.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is Outlook Express.

L-

Why don't you switch to a CGI or PHP mailing? mailto links a real pane if you are using a public/shared computer to browse the internet (like I am), as they require you to have an email account on the shared computer.

I haven't worked with FormMail in a while, and remember that when I did there were some security issues. But yes that's where I was headed if I could not find a reasonable solution to this madness.

L-

Another big plus: your e-mail address won't get harvested by spammers if you use a form-to-mail script. Whatever you use, do make sure that you hardcode the to: address in the script. Don't rely on a script that has that parameter in an include or worse, as a hidden var in the form. No matter *how* secure they claim to be.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!