[web] I'm getting weird errors with the 'mailto' link

Started by
6 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 1 month ago
I've setup a 'mailto' link on one of my pages, but sometimes the mail is going through, and sometimes there is an error on the user/client's side... Can anyone give me an idea as to what is causing this? L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
Could you give us an example of what you are doing?
Is this in plain HTML, or using a server side scripting language like PHP or JSP?

Dave
Are there any weird characters (non-latil or non-ASCII) characters in your e-mail address? If so, how are they encoded?

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

<a href="mailto:me@mydomain.com">me@mydomain.com</a>

It's on a plain HTML page with something exactly like the above. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, but that's pretty much it. Some people have said they are getting errors.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is Outlook Express.

L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Why don't you switch to a CGI or PHP mailing? mailto links a real pane if you are using a public/shared computer to browse the internet (like I am), as they require you to have an email account on the shared computer.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I haven't worked with FormMail in a while, and remember that when I did there were some security issues. But yes that's where I was headed if I could not find a reasonable solution to this madness.

L-
Another big plus: your e-mail address won't get harvested by spammers if you use a form-to-mail script. Whatever you use, do make sure that you hardcode the to: address in the script. Don't rely on a script that has that parameter in an include or worse, as a hidden var in the form. No matter *how* secure they claim to be.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement