finding the number of SET bits in one line of code

Started by
21 comments, last by Enigma 18 years, 1 month ago
sure, lookup table would work just fine.
but im telling you, it's a one liner. and its much more elegant than some of the other suggestions.

im making a vow to find it!
then ill post.
Advertisement
hmmm...never mind.

i think im wrong here.
i think it might've been a lookup table.

the one liner that i was probably thinking about was the way to determine if a number is a power of 2.

so now then...this lookup table, what do the values of this table mean?
std::bitset<32>(val).count();

Because reinventing the wheel is bad.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

oh. geez. never mind i get it.

thread closed.
int countBits(int num) { return num ? countBits(num>>1) + (num&1) : 0; }

Does that count? ;)
Quote:Original post by Premandrake
int countBits(int num) { return num ? countBits(num>>1) + (num&1) : 0; }

Does that count? ;)

Turn that into a template metaprogram, and I think we'll have a winner [grin]. Although Washu definately gets honorable mention.

CM
template<unsigned long num>                                           \ struct count_set_bits                                                 \ {                                                                     \     enum { value = (num & 1) + count_set_bits<(num >> 1)>::value };   \ };                                                                    \                                                                       \ template<>                                                            \ struct count_set_bits<0L>                                             \ {                                                                     \     enum { value = 0 };                                               \ };

The backlashes make it so it's only one line of code, as per GekkoCube's requirements.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
template<unsigned long num>                                           \ struct count_set_bits                                                 \ {                                                                     \     enum { value = (num & 1) + count_set_bits<(num >> 1)>::value };   \ };                                                                    \                                                                       \ template<>                                                            \ struct count_set_bits<0L>                                             \ {                                                                     \     enum { value = 0 };                                               \ };

The backlashes make it so it's only one line of code, as per GekkoCube's requirements.

Yay!

CM
Or this one:

int countBits(int num) { return num ? countBits(num & (num - 1)) + 1 : 0; }

Which if optimized for character count is pretty darn short:

int c(int x){return x?c(x&x-1)+1:0;}

So, here is a new challenge, can anyone come up with a method that uses less characters?
Here's the 32-bit version:

x= (x & 0x55555555) + ((x & 0xAAAAAAAA) >> 1);x= (x & 0x33333333) + ((x & 0xCCCCCCCC) >> 2);x= (x & 0x0F0F0F0F) + ((x & 0xF0F0F0F0) >> 4);x= (x & 0x00FF00FF) + ((x & 0xFF00FF00) >> 8);x= (x & 0x0000FFFF) + ((x & 0xFFFF0000) >> 16);

At least I think that should work.

MSN

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement