• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kevtimc

- basics Help Appreciated

This topic is 4503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Budding game programmer here, I'm learning the basic C++ cmd basics from various resources. I was wondering, what should I learn after the basics if I want to head for game dev/programming? All feedback appreciated.

Advertisement
Learn to use either Opengl or DirectX with C++. You might might want to consider learning C# as well, seeing as how c# is a much cleaner and easier to use language and will probably become more popular in game development in a few years.

Well, perhaps not. Try using GDI+ to do some graphical applications and get used to classes and the like. Then, if you are still wary of DirectX or OpenGL, you can use another engine, such as Truevision3d, which is very impressive.

www.truevision3d.com

Googling it or looking it up on Wikipedia would have told you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDI_Plus

Good luck

Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
thnx, should I do that RIGHT after the basics?

The slightly more than basics, obviously...

But in all seriousness, you're only going to hinder your progress if you try to go too fast, or poke at APIs before you're ready.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
thnx, should I do that RIGHT after the basics?

The slightly more than basics, obviously...

But in all seriousness, you're only going to hinder your progress if you try to go too fast, or poke at APIs before you're ready.

So whats your opinion, what do you think I should do after finishing my "basics" book?

I like SDL for simple 2D applications. Its straight forward to use, free, and powerful(if not blazzingly fast). It does 2D graphics, sound, image loading, user input from keyboards and mice(gamepads/joysticks too), and even networking. Check it out here.

And learning more of the language will *always* benefit you. To help us help you, what does your book get up? Does it get into Polymorphism and inheritance? You could also look into a book about proper design of code. Code Complete version 2 is a good book on the topic. Look in the For Beginner's section of Gamedev for more info on it and some other books.

If your book doesn't cover the Standard Library, you'll want to look into its features. The ones that come to mind as most useful include std::list, std::vector, and std::string. Google 'em for tutorials and descriptions.

Good luck and have fun!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!