Sign in to follow this  
Billr17

[.net] Express and Registration

Billr17    437
Originally I downloaded the VS Express Beta versions and did not write down the keys since I thought they where going to make us pay for the software after beta. Once I uninstalled the Beta and reinstalled the release versions, it didn't make me enter any keys. I just thought they eliminated the keys since it was now temporarily free. Recently I had a friend who installed the Express editions and it made him enter the keys... So I'm guessing it stored the keys in the registry somewhere. Is there any way to retrieve these keys, so if I ever need to reformat my machine after the free software is no longer available I can reinstall the Express editions again with the ISO's? I'm guessing the easiest solution is to install the software on another machine to get the keys again.

Talonius    643
Item 7 on the Registration FAQ seems to answer the question; it looks like it depends on HOW you install it. Since you've already indicated you use the ISO/IMG file, this is why you're not presented with the key requirement.

I want to download and install an Express Edition on a computer that does not have Internet access. What can I do?

If you need to install and use an Express Edition on a computer that is not connected to the Internet, you will need to create an installation CD using the CD ISO (IMG) files that are available on the Express site. The installation CD you create will then allow you to install an Express Edition on a computer that is not connected to the Internet, and that Express Edition will not require a registration key for continued usage.

To create an installation CD for an Express Edition, please see the Manual Installation Instructions on the Express site.

:)

Toolmaker    967
Each key is generated per computer. I tried the same: I installed the Express editions on my dev machine, and registered. When I wanted to isntall it on a different machine, the keys didn't work.

Also, if you download the ISO files, you don't need to register, while you need for the bootstrap versions. However, registering IS a good idea: If the offer expires in 1 year, you have your versions registered, and you can still download and install the express versions(Legally).

You can register your version via Help -> Register and clicking the links in the window.

Toolmaker

DrGUI    402
Hey,
does that mean you should register if you've downloaded the ISO images? Would Express stop working after a year if you don't register?

Thanks

Talonius    643
Quote:
Original post by DrGUI
Hey,
does that mean you should register if you've downloaded the ISO images? Would Express stop working after a year if you don't register?

Thanks

The license to use the product is contingent on your registration with Microsoft. If you haven't registered with Microsoft, you're not licensed to use the software.

Does the software have a failsafe in place to bomb unless you register? No. There's no requirement to register except the legal requirement to fulfill the terms of the license.

So, no, it won't stop working, but yes, I would recommend registering.

DrGUI    402
Oops :S

Thanks a lot

I mean like will you still be able to register after the offer ends because the computer might be rebuilt or upgraded...

Cheers

Talonius    643
Quote:
Original post by DrGUI
Oops :S

Thanks a lot

I mean like will you still be able to register after the offer ends because the computer might be rebuilt or upgraded...

Cheers

Nah, register once. No further requirements; the license provides for use. It doesn't register with your computer; it registers your personal information as using the product.