[.net] Vista and the .NET Framework

Started by
12 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 1 month ago
Just saw this interesting article about Microsoft Vista and .NET. The article points out that .NET functionality has been stripped out of the system as Vista evolved. I just found it a bit interesting and thought I'd bring it up here.... What are your thoughts?
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
I think Microsoft found their schedule being pushed back and back, that Microsoft had more native programmers than managed programmers, that Microsoft had this huge library of pre-existing code that was just begging to be used, and that Microsoft made the only decision it could: get the job done rather than fulfill public relations' promises to the managed programmers of the world.

That said I'm rather sorry to see this occur. I really think the system stability could be improved a great deal by introducing managed components to a few key areas, all in the user arena, and I think that - long term - this stability is something that is more desirable than a product launch deadline.
..what we do will echo throughout eternity..
It's a sad thing. Running trusted managed components throughout the OS also means that security is tightened and far less exploits will be available.

~Graham
I don't mind very much wether the core componentes of Vista uses .NET or not.

I'm more concerned if they choose not to install the .NET runtimes by default.

This will cause a whole lot of people being unable to enjoy games and applications using .NET technology, because they do not know how to install it. And if you want your work to be widespreaded, people must be able to run things you've made; without demanding them to install 30 megs of runtimes.

Since they most probably will include the .NET runtimes on a default installation, I'm not worrying too much.

[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Quote:Original post by Enselic
Since they most probably will include the .NET runtimes on a default installation, I'm not worrying too much.

They included the 1.1 Framework with Windows Server 2003 but not the 1.0 Framework. Will Vista only include the 2.0 Framework, leaving 1.1 applications to hang?
..what we do will echo throughout eternity..
Quote:Original post by Talonius
They included the 1.1 Framework with Windows Server 2003 but not the 1.0 Framework. Will Vista only include the 2.0 Framework, leaving 1.1 applications to hang?

I'd be very surprised if the don't include all versions of the framework. I mean, the percentage in diskspace of the whole installation can't be high.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
I am currently running the 5308 CTP. It contains Version 1.0.3705 and 2.0.50727.
I just finished a contract at Microsoft testing on a component that is built using C# and managed code. It is a fairly integral service, and I know that others are also following this route and that a lot of code is being ported to c#. I'm sure that Microsoft is very well committed to migrating to .net. Maybe not all at once, but they are moving in that direction. Moving back to unmanaged code is a step in the wrong direction for the future. Managed code will be more portable and just as efficient moving forward. It also has a cleaner and more modern api to use.
I would wonder about this...

They seem to suggest that VisualStudio.net does not use managed code, but this is simply untrue. Yes it won't be 100% managed code, thats completly unreasonable. The UI is (afaik) completly windows forms based for example.

It makes me wonder if they are counting entirly managed assemblies only? I remember watching channel 9 a while ago, the shell team, saying all the file association objects that generated file previews were managed... At least thats what I remember them saying.

I didn't have a chance to read the entire article (1am here) but found no reference to C++/Cli...?

did I miss something?
Jeff Atwood has posted a bit of commentary on this article on his blog here. He basically concludes that although MS may have changed their minds about writing parts of Vista in managed code it doesn't mean they have no faith in the .Net platform with respect to their own software (offering XP Media Centre edition as an example).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement