Sign in to follow this  
Halsafar

Gcc for windows

Halsafar    205
Okay it seems the happy and free world of software likes to make things very complicated to find easily. I have been clicking around many websites looking for a bloody port of Gcc for windows. I of course found nothing, which is why I am posting here. Can anyone point in the right direction?

Scet    960
What IDE do you plan on using? Both Dev-Cpp and Code::Blocks come with MinGW. I suppose you could use it with VC, but I don't see why.

Unless you plan on using the command line, although that kind of defeats the whole purpose of Windows.

Halsafar    205
Thanks for the replies.
I need it for school, incase for some reason I'm stuck compiling in windows. I usually use Linux for this kinda stuff anyway.

Thanks,
Halsafar

Kalazart    148
You can use GCC with Cygwin. Even though I think it will use MinGW with it.

And I don't see a problem with using command line on Windows. Just because it has mouse and windows for stuff, doesn't mean you don't need to type sometimes.

RavenMokel    127
be careful with cygwin, it does not use mingw and instead links your app to it's own cygwin-compatibility-layer stuff, which is GPL'd. not a problem if what you doing is open source or never released anyway, but a thing you should keep in mind. at least it was that way the last time i checked it out.
apart from that, cygwin as a whole is quite useful, especially if you're used to "the unix way" of doing things or miss having a good CLI, like the bash.

-Raven

Kwizatz    1392
Quote:
Original post by RavenMokel
be careful with cygwin, it does not use mingw and instead links your app to it's own cygwin-compatibility-layer stuff, which is GPL'd. not a problem if what you doing is open source or never released anyway, but a thing you should keep in mind. at least it was that way the last time i checked it out.
apart from that, cygwin as a whole is quite useful, especially if you're used to "the unix way" of doing things or miss having a good CLI, like the bash.

-Raven

It will use MinGW, if a-You install the MinGW compiler and b-you pass the -mno-cygwin compile and linking flag, if you want to find out for sure if you linked against cygwin or mingw libraries, check your exe for references to cygwin1.dll or any other cyg*.dll.

Personally, I just use MSYS and MinGW, though I use cygwin for ssh into my Linux boxes.