Sign in to follow this  
Bogger

c++ compilers

Bogger    122
Hi, I am having touble locating some C++ compilers for Windows XP. And I have googled it didn't help that much. So if some of you guys could provide me a good link that will help alot thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Search for Dev-C++ in google, im sure you'll find it easily..

Gameteen    100
Dev C++ is the best! Simple, so you won't be overwhelmed with useless options, and more powerful than most commercial compilers. Always download the latest beta version, cause it works with the most libraries(SDL, Allegro, DirectX9, Opengl, FMOD, etc.), unlike Visual C++, which complains if the code isn't "Microsoft managed". It's the best compiler for game dev out there! Anyway, I've never had a complaint with it!

PS. In case you haven't noticed, I LUV DEVC++!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I have tried Visual Studios Express but my trial expired so i decided to find something free.

Notsosuperhero    102
I use Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 and Code::Blocks. I would say go with Visual C++ Express if you want to do alot of Windows programming, because its a great compiler for Windows. And no, it is not hard to set up unmanaged C++ projects in it.

Between Dev C++ and Code::Blocks, I much prefer Code::Blocks, I cannot stand Dev C++, I think COde::Blocks is a much better IDE. But thats just my opinion. Try them both out, they're free.

igni ferroque    415
Quote:
Original post by Bogger
Hi,

I am having touble locating some C++ compilers for Windows XP.
And I have googled it didn't help that much. So if some of you guys could provide me a good link that will help alot thanks.

Try searching for "windows c++ compiler" (without the quotes).

Roboguy    794
Quote:
Original post by Gameteen
Dev C++ is the best! Simple, so you won't be overwhelmed with useless options, and more powerful than most commercial compilers. Always download the latest beta version, cause it works with the most libraries(SDL, Allegro, DirectX9, Opengl, FMOD, etc.), unlike Visual C++, which complains if the code isn't "Microsoft managed". It's the best compiler for game dev out there! Anyway, I've never had a complaint with it!

PS. In case you haven't noticed, I LUV DEVC++!

I'm guessing you have not actually tried Visual C++. What would make you think that non-Microsoft libraries do not work with Visual C++?

Anyway, you may want to try several IDEs to find one you like the best.

Ezbez    1164
When I first started programming and using Visual C++, I was almost completely unable to use other libraries with it. But now that I've gotten the hang of it, its really easy. Dev-C++ is easier to set up libraries with, but only if you're going to be using the libraries that they have dev-paks for(which is a good number).

Visual C++ definately has a better GUI. It also has some great tools such as the Depends tool which helps you figure out which libraries your program requires.

Not only that, but most tutorials/articles will have VC++ projects. Naturally, the source is still view-able in Dev-C++ but its more of a hassle and harder to recompile.