Which file format for Skeletal animation?

Started by
4 comments, last by zedzeek 18 years, 1 month ago
Like the title says, which file format do you use for skeletal animation? And why that one? I've implemented skeletal animation with MS3D files, but I was wondering if there are better formats. Many thanks in advance, Kees
Advertisement
Best advice is to come up with your own format, that is, figure out which way you are best at understanding (as there literally is more than one way to skin a cat), and how you'd like to store your transformations (poses) and have them display in-game. Basically, come up with a features list of what you'll want/need to do in your implementation and solve for your format in a backwards, logical fashion.

Once you know what you want you can figure out how to get it from your art program to your format, and then into your engine.

Wow, I didn't realize how mathematical programming was, even in an indirect way :)
I know it's best to make your own format, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I was wondering if there is a nice format out there which I could use.
The only downside to ms3d is that it only supports one bone per vertex. Is that why you are considering other formats?
[size="1"]
Yes, that is the main reason why I want to use another format :)
Besides that I want to orientate the pro's and con's of other file formats.
check out collada (its gaining ground as the new defacto standard ie the new .3ds)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement