Sign in to follow this  
XeeRox

Unity Few questions, for whole community!

XeeRox    130
I have some questions, on what i am looking forward to see you at it! 1)When you started programming? (what age, what language) 2)When you completed real game programming? (if you, what was your first game) 3)How much time, you'd needed to learn "game programming" language? (C++, C#, and so...) 4)What API you prefer DirectX or OpenGL? That's it guys! ======================================= I will answer these questions, too. ======================================= 1)I started programming at age of 10, when i saw VisualBasic. 2)Actually, still trying that... ;)My first game would be SpaceShip-shooter in C# 3)Still learning it! C# in my case. 4)Depends, in C# i prefer DirectX, while at C++ i prefer OpenGL.

CTar    1134
1) 11, javascript. 10 if you count HTML and CSS as programming. I started because my dad gave me a little javascript book.
2) I wouldn't say I have completed "real" game programming, I have focused on game engines instead so I haven't made any real games. My first game, Pong was created when I was 12, it was in C++ and mostly copy-paste from NeHe.
3) I haven't completely learned C++ yet, for example I just had to look up if operator, or the ternary operator was evaluted first.
4) If I can only choose between those two I prefer to work with DirectX, but actually I prefer the API-independent parts (like much of the scene graph, math library, memory management etc.).

Kalazart    148
1) 17 years old - March 2005, when I entered Computer Science course in college.
2) July 2005. Was a work in a group of 3 people for that semester. It was an Arkanoid clone.
3) I programmed that game in C, but it was a very basic game to use any game specific programming tecniques...
4) Not used any so far, but will be moving onto OpenGL with SDL. I already use SDL.

Telastyn    3777
1) ~12, AmigaBasic
2) ~15, a simple 'you see an <enemy> a)ttack r)un?' RPG in Pascal.
3) It took me about 2-3 years to become not terrible with C. About 3-4 years to become competant in C++. A little over a week in C#.

ZuBsPacE    208
1) Got into QBasic at age 13. One of the first things I did was some kind of game of life which was so much fun =)
2) Never completed a real game yet, I always get to a point where I start to hate my engine, trash it and start over again.
3) Imo you never really finish learning a language. There's always something new to discover, like new design patterns and stuff.
4) whatever. been learning ogl at school but am using dx atm. The principles are mostly the same.

lucem    176
1) 8, Commodore C64, Commodore Basic V2 + 65xx Assembler
2) around 14, yet on the pc; simple shoot'em'up; i don't count the "text adventures" for myself as they never really were playable at all
3) Well, I picked up C++ basics in about six weeks, but I discover new things every day :) I used to program in BASIC for a horribly long time before, so it wasn't too hard to grasp. I seriously started using C++ in 2000, and in the meantime I've picked up Python and Lua, too. Scripting owns, hehe.
4) Well, I actually use both, as currently I make use of Ogre, which uses both. When it gets down to using the API by hand, I prefer SDL/OpenGL combination, gets you working and saves you a lot of time and bugs. Maybe one day later I'll take a more serious look at DirectGraphics, but that day's still blurred and distant...

For who cares, I study computer science in my second semester (military service stole my time...), and my current free time game development project is an RTT in space, dealing with a lot of tactical things and huge space battles - work has just begun, but I'm used to bite my way through things :)

scgrn    168
1) 11 years old, my family had a monochrome 8086 (heh) that had a bunch of GWBASIC games installed. Occasionally a game would crash, leaving me inside that weird editor / interpreter thing where I could see the sourcecode. Completely intrigued, I started mucking around and changing things, and eventually picked up a book and learned it proper.
2) Not sure really, I probably wrote my first game that I would consider "complete" somewhere around the age of 14, just a little space shooter in Pascal on a 386.
Quote:
Original post by ZuBsPacE
3) Imo you never really finish learning a language. There's always something new to discover, like new design patterns and stuff.

3) Ditto.
4) I chose OpenGL for it's cross-platform capabilites. Then again, I haven't worked with Direct3D yet, so it's not really fair to say I prefer OpenGL...

njpaul    367
1)When you started programming? (what age, what language)
2)When you completed real game programming? (if you, what was your first game)
3)How much time, you'd needed to learn "game programming" language? (C++, C#, and so...)
4)What API you prefer DirectX or OpenGL?

1)15 - QBasic
2)16 - Made a 'Deer Hunter' game in QBasic
3)QBasic and Pascal I learned enough of after 6 months and 10 months respectively to write games for them. C++ I started learning at 17 and it wasn't until about 19 that something clicked in my brain and I now have a deeper understanding of all languages and can learn them easily. Since then I've learned Python, Scheme, and Java, as well as web-based and the .net languages.
4)Having worked with both APIs I can say DirectX is my clear favorite.

Bregma    9214

About age 10, in machine language on a CARDIAC. Some years later, the Apple ][ arrived on the scene with built-in BASIC. That was heaven.

The most important game I was exposed to was the original Colossal Cave. I had to emulate that. Then there was Blockade. I had to write my own version on an Apple ][. That would have been in the late 1970s or so early 1980s.

3)How much time, you'd needed to learn "game programming" language? (C++, C#, and so...)

Tough call. I've spent years learning to program and learning programming languages, but very little of that has gone into developing games.

OpenGL. I don't have access to a Microsoft development environment.

Nathan Baum    1027
Quote:
Original post by XeeRox
I have some questions, on what i am looking forward to see you at it!

~12. BASIC.
Quote:

I made a few text adventure-type-things in BASIC.
Quote:

I guess I spent around a year per language becoming competent in C, C++ and VisualBasic. Few months for Common Lisp. To the extent that those are "game programming" languages.

I know some Inform and TADS, which really are game programming languages, but I'm nothing like competent in them. Maybe a month a piece.

I learned Java at college and university. It is, however, too horrid for me to have allowed myself to become competent at it.
Quote:

I've only ever used the evil DirectX <6 API, and I hate it, whilst I like OpenGL. I might like modern versions of DirectX, but I don't care to learn a non-portable proprietary API, especially when most of my computers aren't running Windows most of the time.

Scet    960
1) 14 with QBASIC. Started because I was planning on taking a CS highschool course and wanted to get a "leg-up" on everybody else.

2) Depends on the definition of a "real" game. The first game I actually showed people I made about a year into programming, using RapidQ( a now dead VB clone ).

3) You'll never stop learning, languages change and evolve. When I started, C# didn't even exist, but I use it all the time now.

4) OpenGL/SDL in C++ and Managed DirectX in C#. I always roll my own wrapper classes though so I can easily switch if I have to.

bpoint    464
Around 6, I think. BASIC (and Extended BASIC, woo!) on my Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

Hmm... my "first" game was probably within a year or so of getting my TI-99/4A. I really enjoyed playing Dig Dug in the arcade and wrote a clone of it in Extended BASIC.

I've also worked professionally on PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 2, GameCube and DS, and have developed a number of titles. I still continue to work in the games industry, so I wouldn't say I have ever "completed" game programming yet. :)

I went from BASIC -> Apple IIe BASIC / 6502 Assembly -> Pascal -> C -> C++. I probably learned most about C++ by the age of 16 or so... but I would say I'm still learning and refining my knowledge even today.

I personally prefer OpenGL, but that is not because I have a dislike for DirectX. OpenGL's syntax is easy to use and understand, and some consoles even have a graphics API that is similar to it. OpenGL is also nice and portable to other platforms which gives it nice plus points in my book.

BeanDog    1065
1) 6, Commodore 128 BASIC
2) 7, run your green square away from the red squares with the joystick.
11, shoot bad guys' space ships with your spaceship to earn money for bigger guns.
14, Build a base and army and go get the bad AI guys in RTS style
16, 3D space shooter, you+AI vs. AI (kids played that one all the time on my high school's computers)
You pick which one counts as real.
3) To learn C++, I gave up twice (age 9 and 11) then caught on at 13, about 30 days' work that time.
4) DirectX, but never tried OpenGL.

discman1028    212

I forget when, but C++ I think.

ASCII Connect-Four, IIRC, high school. To this day, I don't complete games, I work on engines, etc. It's strange! Even though I love making games, I feel I should get an amazing background in math, CS, ECE, and everything else 1st. :)

It took me years to learn C++ fully, and still learning strange details. But to make a game, a month maybe (as a 1st language).

Hmmm I like both, sorry.

Tsurumaru    122
1) Age 17, QBasic - Barely remember it. Though I hated the language and programming at the time because of it. Then I found C++(at age 21) and have been programming ever since.
2)I haven't completed a game yet. I've just started down that road
3)I've been programming in c++ about 5 years full on and I'm still learning new things.
4)No preference at this time.

Drakkcon    612
1> Age 10-11, QBASIC
2> I haven't really created a game yet. I'm 16 now, and the most I have done is tic-tac-toe. I have created some cool sprite demos, but that's about it.
3> I technically started learning C++ at age 12, but I kept flirting with RAD game development tools (RPG maker was the best thing ever, no I had no idea that it was illegal to use it). Then I started with RPG toolkit. After realizing that these systems were too limiting, I began seriously learning C++ at age 13 (you can have a good laugh by reading those posts in my history). I was proficient in C++ a couple of years ago, so I'd say it took me a full year (13-14).
4> I prefer SDL. I will be using OpenGL through it soon though. I really don't have that much of a preference actually.

1.Age 6, QBASIC
2.I just finished Pong Master, a Pong Remake done in PureBASIC
3.About 3 Months, and i'm starting to learn C++ right this moment and converting my Pong Master/PureBASIC to C++/Allegro code.
4.Direct X, OpenGL is very unstable.

Stiffler    163
1) 11 - (TI83plus basic / TI89 C)
2) 13 - (A c++/directx clone of space invaders / arknoid)
3) Because i learned c first, c++ wasn't a big jump so only about 2 months to feel like second nature. As everyone else said, I'm still learning things. Also, I learned C# in about one week, and just this night I ported one of the tools I use from java to c#.
4) I have used both and both have their good points, but I currently use DirectX, not because I like it better, but because I wrote my engine using it :)

Isn't it funny how simple C# is compared to what everyone started on :)