Getting started with DirectX in Dev-C++

Started by
2 comments, last by Ylor 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I've just been all through the Internet trying to find a tutorial on how to go about to start programming with directX (directdraw in this case) with Dev-C++, and now I thought maybe this is the place! I have found a lot about how to write the first lines of code, but there seems to be one gap in every single tutorial: how do I make my Dev-C++ accept the code? I have installed the SDK like they all say, but the problems start somewhere around linking directX libraries and stuff... My most advanced program this far is based completely on functions from windows.h and the standard C++ libraries so I don't understand much of this and I fail to find any existing help. If I have understood correctly it is possible to compile games using directX in Dev-C++, right? In that case, can anyone who knows how to do it please explain to me how from the point that Dev-C++ is installed and the DirectX SDK is downloaded to the point where I'm ready to start writing a program? Thank you very much in advance!
Advertisement
There are pretty good instructions on the first post of this thread. Hope it helps.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Hey, I found this to be the best. It works. I am now using DirectX with Dev-CPP!!!!!!

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=381194

Just scroll down to Drew_Benton's first post on that thread, and he explained it good. Good luck with it! Hope to see you programming in DirectX soon!!

Chad.
Thanks guys! It took me a long time to go through the explanations (reimp.exe turned out not to be part of the MinGW-bundle I found, but when I finally realized this it didn't take long to download it separately!) but now it works great!

Thank you once more!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement