Paraboloid Mapping Article

Started by
17 comments, last by cyber_wiz_2007 18 years ago
For those who are interested, I have written an article on dual-paraboloid mapping. The article includes theory and implementation on how to generate and access paraboloid maps in real-time using DirectX/HLSL. I posted the article in my journal HERE. Feedback is always welcome, so let me know what you think!
Advertisement
Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Not sure if you know this, but Delpi3D also has source code avaliable for a
"Delphi" implementation of DPSM, however no real explanation behind it other than a reference to the same paper that you referenced.

http://www.delphi3d.net/
Hi,

I like the idea of dual parabaloidal shadow mapping, but I read on the delphi3D site that it requires high mesh tesselation. Just wondering if there is a work-around for low poly meshes?

It would be refreshing to see parabaloidally projected texels on a scene
Yes, I actually tried using the article at Delphi3d, but it was written in assembly and not really all that user friendly. That was part of the reason that I decided to write it in HLSL, so that it would be easier for everyone to understand.

AP: The needed tessellation is dependant on the scene needs. It is discussed briefly in the article...
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Hi,

I like the idea of dual parabaloidal shadow mapping, but I read on the delphi3D site that it requires high mesh tesselation. Just wondering if there is a work-around for low poly meshes?

That is my DREAM that Nvidia and ATI design their pixel shaders to allow the programmer to change where the current pixel is plotted in the frame buffer.

Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Hi Jason,
great article!

- Wolf
Sweet - thanks a lot! I appreciate it.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by oconnellseanm
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Hi,

That is my DREAM that Nvidia and ATI design their pixel shaders to allow the programmer to change where the current pixel is plotted in the frame buffer.

That's so very not-possible due to the way how the triangle assembly system works. So almost the whole GPU core would need a revamp and things like early Z fail optimization and hierarchial Z (ATI) would have to go.
Olli Salli
Thank you for all the feedback! I hope the article will help spread the use of paraboloid mapping, which seems to be under-realized right now for some reason. If there is anything that you guys think could make it better just let me know!
I think it would be great to add a section on Dual-Paraboloid Shadow maps ... this is the most obvious case you want to use the dual-paraboloid projection.

The reason why DP shadow maps are not much used in games is, that you do not want to increase the tesselation too much, because it affects the overall performance and then you might also consider shadow volumes a better solution.
As far as I know ATI had a dual-paraboloid projection in hardware at some point ... which would be ultra-cool, but NVIDIA never had. I wonder if it is still in there.

- Wolf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement