gl_point_sprite scaling question

Started by
0 comments, last by Kalidor 18 years, 1 month ago
I'm working on a particle system that currently uses gl_point_sprite to draw the particles. The problem is that regardless of the camera position, the particles all come out the same size ( as specified by glPointSize() ). I would like the particles to naturally get smaller as they move farther from the camera, and also appear the same size at different screen resolutions ( right now they look bigger in lower resolutions because glPointSize is in pixels). Now I could of course calculate all this by hand, but if there is a way to tell the hardware to do it for me that would be better. Is there a way to do this on the gpu? (preferably withouth using shaders, since I'd like my game to work on older computers).
Infested Furbyinfestedfurby@hotmail.cominfestedfurby.cjb.net
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by InfestedFurby
I'm working on a particle system that currently uses gl_point_sprite to draw the particles. The problem is that regardless of the camera position, the particles all come out the same size ( as specified by glPointSize() ). I would like the particles to naturally get smaller as they move farther from the camera, and also appear the same size at different screen resolutions ( right now they look bigger in lower resolutions because glPointSize is in pixels). Now I could of course calculate all this by hand, but if there is a way to tell the hardware to do it for me that would be better. Is there a way to do this on the gpu? (preferably withouth using shaders, since I'd like my game to work on older computers).
This is a part of the GL_ARB_point_parameters extension.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement