Sign in to follow this  
Juan Diego

Software Engineering on Games

Juan Diego    124
I'm interested in any book or article about software engineering on games. does anybody know?. It'd be great some post-mortems of game developments. I'm currently starting my phD in software engineering and need all you think I must read. Thanks in advance.

eelke_folmer    191
I would recommend game architecture and design by Andrew Rollings and Dave Morris, there are some other good books to checkout the postmortems from game developer by austin grossman. I'm doing some research on software engineering and games too, currently in architectures and games and usability and games.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You might also want to look at books covering specific aspects like rendering, networking, multithreading, .... As far as I know there are very few books on architecture, but you'll likely find a lot on design "3D game engine design", ...
Should you not have attended GDC '06 watch out for the slides to Grady Booch's excelent presentation on game architecture.
I'm also thinking about doing a phD in software engineering with a focus on game architecture, feel free to drop me a line at ixad@yahoo.com.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You'll find the presentations on Grady's blog: http://www.booch.com. Also, the GDC guys promissed to have most of the other presentations online in their archive within the next 14 days.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Here is a more direct link: http://www.booch.com/architecture/blog.jsp?part=Papers. Enjoy!

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Should you not have attended GDC '06 watch out for the slides to Grady Booch's excelent presentation on game architecture.

Having just read through the slides I fail to see what is excellent about the presentation (as I see it, it is not even about games or games architecture). Can you elaborate on what you think are the strong points?

eelke_folmer    191
Quote:
Original post by Christer Ericson
Having just read through the slides I fail to see what is excellent about the presentation (as I see it, it is not even about games or games architecture). Can you elaborate on what you think are the strong points?

Ha for once i agree with you ;-)

Although Grady Booch is highly regarded in SE community (but more for his work on UML) I think he just wants to jump on the "lets focus on games" bandwagon like many other. Its basically a rip of of Jonathan blows article " what makes game development hard"