Software Engineering on Games

Started by
10 comments, last by eelke_folmer 18 years ago
I'm interested in any book or article about software engineering on games. does anybody know?. It'd be great some post-mortems of game developments. I'm currently starting my phD in software engineering and need all you think I must read. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I would recommend game architecture and design by Andrew Rollings and Dave Morris, there are some other good books to checkout the postmortems from game developer by austin grossman. I'm doing some research on software engineering and games too, currently in architectures and games and usability and games.
Game Engineering ResearcherSee www.helpyouplay.com
You might also want to look at books covering specific aspects like rendering, networking, multithreading, .... As far as I know there are very few books on architecture, but you'll likely find a lot on design "3D game engine design", ...
Should you not have attended GDC '06 watch out for the slides to Grady Booch's excelent presentation on game architecture.
I'm also thinking about doing a phD in software engineering with a focus on game architecture, feel free to drop me a line at ixad@yahoo.com.
Feel free to drop a line too :) Thanks

Does anyone know where can i find the Gary's Booch slides on GDC 2006 conference?
Gamasutra has a bunch of game post mortems.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
You'll find the presentations on Grady's blog: http://www.booch.com. Also, the GDC guys promissed to have most of the other presentations online in their archive within the next 14 days.
When I visit that site I just get a rotating cube?
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Quote:Original post by Juan Diego
I'm interested in any book or article about software engineering on games. does anybody know?.

Software Engineering and Computer Games I never got around to reading it myself (our library has it), but it looked interesting.
Here is a more direct link: http://www.booch.com/architecture/blog.jsp?part=Papers. Enjoy!
Software Engineering for Game Developers

I have this book, and while I disagree with some of it, most of it is right on the money.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement