Sign in to follow this  
fatihtolgaata

Same animation for all meshes

Hi, I have seen that the animation of some characters have same animation in games like Half life. 3d models are different, but their animation is same. I am loading the meshes, skeletons and animations from a .X file. I am loading these together. But I want to load these stuffs separately. And after I loaded the animation from .X file, I must apply this animation to all meshes what I loaded from .X files. In a word, how can I apply only one animation to the meshes that I want? thanks.

They can do this because they have the same bone structure across their models. This allows them to play the same animations on the same bones - so it doesn't really matter on the vertices. In fact, there is a next-gen technique called 'motion retargeting' that will actually change the motion to fit a different heirarchial bone structure.
Anyhow, I'm not sure you can do this with .X, since it embeds the motion in with the geometry. This normally isn't a very good idea at all, since:

(a) Every time you want to change a motion, you have to export the entire model again

(b) You are forced to load all of your models at initialization time. Say some motions are only used in certain scenes, ect. You don't need them loaded all the time.

(c) It makes it very hard to track what motions you actually have (this is more of a source control issue).

(d) And, like you are seeing, you can't really share motions accross actors.