Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Directx 8.0 is way better than OpenGL

This topic is 6160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks very much for your valued opinion. I am sure with all your expertise in every 3d api out there, people will finally read your post and switch instantly over to dx. *COUGH*

If OpenGL has to die, im going down with it. *compiles his game*

-- Wav

ok, if you look at the profile, you'll see this is one of many annoying useless posts by rudy... i cast my vote for 'close of topic'

-mike

Edited by - thr33d on January 26, 2001 7:07:49 PM

All hail the mighty Bill Gates! There is no alternative to Windows! DirectX is the way ahead... No point writing stuff that''ll work on little-known OS''s like Linux/Unix is there, eh?

How familiar with DirectX are you, Rudy? If you look at the changes in the DX API with each new version, it''s starting to look more and more like OpenGL (which, IMHO, is a good thing).

Out of interest, what do you think is so wrong with OGL? (Yep, I''m trying to treat this as a serious post... Not really expecting a coherent answer though).

Al.

oh yeah, and, perhaps i''m assumeing too much, but; I don''t think rudy is qualified to make a call on dx8 OR opengl. His(/her) last started thread was asking about what type of computer to buy... mac or pc, he didn''t have a computer... um,
i see this topic as - annoying, useless, and nonproductive to the furthering of game development.

-mike

(ps. can i vote twice?)

Guest Anonymous Poster
directX sux!
rudy does not know what he is talking about.

he has no idea how to evaluate API''s.
one thing he is NOT is a good source of opinions!

awigga: Of course you agree with rudy. You''re the same person.

You also post under Slayer69 and Styles, and have managed to carry on a few arguments with yourself, in addition to agreeing with yourself.

What''s the point? Go away and get a life.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t have very much experience in developing games, or any sort of graphics. But I wouldn''t say either one sucks. I have seen some damn good graphic demos in both, there seems to be more available on Dx, but that may be because it''s Microsoft.

OpenGL in my opinion, is a little better, there are a lot more *nix users than people sometimes think. Just today, I was at a software store, and I saw a game, it ran on *nix as well as windows. What point am I getting to?

The OpenGL runtimes have been on the windows operating system since 95, and OGL runs on Linux too. It doesn''t matter who writes the software, it should be evaluated for it''s reliability, and features, not by the prestige of the company.

rudy, you are an asshole, and if you don''t change your ways you aren''t going to get very far in real life. This isn''t an insult, I am trying to help you. Narrow minded people don''t last in the real world, you have to open yourself up to ideas that make sense. You can''t just keep thinking bigger is better and go with that forever.

Get a life, and get one fast, you are like 17 and you still aren''t mature enough to make descisions based on fact or logic. I am 14 and wouldn''t say for a minute that just because Microsoft made it, the competitor sucked and should die.

fuck off asshole.
now that''s an insult.

It''s too bad rudy has to be such a bitch. He gives a bad name to DirectX users like me. I''ve had some experience with both D3D and OpenGL, and in my opinion they''re equal in most respects in their current versions. Personally, I love both APIs, and the only reason I prefer D3D right now is that it''s a little easier to implement certain cool things like vertex and pixel shaders. However, I admit that my opinions could easily change with new releases of either API.

The other day someone asked me when Microsoft was going to port DirectX to Linux? I couldn''t stop laughing! The thing is that I''d actually like to see Linux versions of Internet Explorer and MS FlightSimulator. Netscape is just too buggy! and MSFS is just too fun!

Yes, odd how DirectX 8 is almost identical to OpenGL now isn''t it? As for Glide, I don''t know what its future will be. I''ve always liked it the most. Even though I haven''t done any programming with it. It just always seemed to run faster than Direct3D or even OpenGL. (My opinion of D3D has been very low until DX8 came out)

Now lets all pray NVidia starts making 3DFX/NVidia hybred cards. Instead of just scrapping all of their stuff.

L8R Ya''ll

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

>>awigga: Of course you agree with rudy. You're the same person.
You also post under Slayer69 and Styles, <<

yes but what i wanna know is he/she/it really from antigua

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Edited by - zedzeek on January 27, 2001 4:37:13 AM

No way does direct SMACK have anything on opengl. No way. Rudy must be confused. How many times was he dropped on his head when he was young ?
;-)

The Kid

I don''''t know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.

This topic is 6160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.