RIAA wants to kill YOU!

Started by
96 comments, last by cloudscapes 18 years ago
Well, almost. Basically, RIAA and ohers (MPAA, BSA, etc.) want to make it illegal for people to uninstall their DRM rootkits. A group of fair use advocates asked the U.S. Copyright Office to make an exception from this abusive law, by not allowing DRM rootkits in systems where by doing so it could threaten critical infrastructure and/or human life. And the RIAA & co. lawyers are fighting that exception, saying it would be bad for the artists. Read the article here.
Advertisement
Heh, guess it doesn't really affect me because, frankly, I don't buy music anymore (unless it's from local bands or people I know).
Umm, it would affect you if you happen to travel in a plane that nears an airport where an employee wanted to listen to a DRM [rootkit] protected CD, and someone took advantage of that rootkit and took over some important computer.
Now, it's not likely to happen, but still, the fact that RIAA doesn't care about it is really bad.
Fuck it, maybe it's time to start stealing music.
where does the DRM software come from, is it on the cd?
Quote:Original post by Kaze
where does the DRM software come from, is it on the cd?

Yes, and the installation is transparent, the user is not asked or notified about it.
Google for: "sony rootkit" for more info.
Uhmn - is it me, or is that article implying that you Americans have to ask permission from the RIAA/Copyright Office to remove their Rootkits and DRM software from your computer!?
Yes, fucking with the DRM protections is illegal in the US.
*jaw drops*

So, if Sony's rootkit (or something) somehow sneakly installs itself on your computer, you're stuck with it?
Well, I don't know about it, because AFAIK, there was no rulling on this particular issue (ie. removing a rootkit that was installed without your permission).
On one hand, Sony is breaking the law because they are compromising the security of your computer.
On the other hand, it is illegal to temper with DRM stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement