Site Stability Read more... ×
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
evolutional

GDNet Spotlight Column - Launched!

This topic is 4963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am very pleased to announce the trial launch of brand new column called "GDNet Spotlight". GDNet Spotlight takes a look into the world of independent and professional game development, exploring the dynamics of real-world game development by featuring previews, developer profiles and postmortems of the games and the teams behind them. The first article takes a first look at the multiplayer space-combat game Sector 13 from our GDC2005 friends Reactor Interactive. We have a couple more articles in the pipeline and I am persuing other teams and projects for future content. As this is a new column, I'd like to get your opinions on the style and approach we're taking. The written style is intended to be more like a traditional 'print' gaming magazine so is less formal than our other GDNet articles (as you may notice). It's our aim to begin covering many other games and teams (whether indies or professionals), so if you're interested in being covered by the Spotlight column in the future, drop me a line. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the teams we're working with along with Jason Adams and Nigel Mcconnochie for their work on the column so far. Comments and feedback are welcome, either in the forum or privately to me. Enjoy! - Oli

Advertisement
I enjoyed the column, especially the second page, about the development process. It was good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that using FMOD, OGRE, RakNet, and ODE is a reasonable way to enjoy making games.

I think a very interesting type of column for this site would be a sort of post-mortem from one of these "can-do" teams on the development or use of a particular technology. For instance, rather than having another abstract article about "defeating lab with cubic splines" or dead reckoning, have them explain on a technical level the difficulties they worked through in reasonably hiding lag, the different approaches they tried, and the solution they settled on. If we could develop a corpus of such literature, it would be a practical starting point for someone working on a similar game. I could just go to the article that Sector 13 wrote about networking when I wanted to make a multiplayer space shooter, and I'd know I was going in a good direction that wasn't going to dead-end in a fundamental failure.

Agh! The indie game paparazzi! [grin]

Actually, I like the idea of this article series. I wish I were making bigger/prettier/more complex games so I could get interviewed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!