Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

firebit

Foley Book

Greetings from Lima-Peru (maybe there is another guy from Lima in GD?) Hi this is my first post I just checked out from the library the book Introduction to Computer Graphics by Foley,Van Dam,Feiner ,et. It''s the first edition, I was considering buying the second edition, I read it fixes misprints and errors of the first ed. Does somebody know if it includes new material? Breno

I would suggest seeing if the library can get a borrow a copy of the 2nd edition from another library so you can compare them directly. Things have changed a great deal since the first edition and the second edition reflects that. There is new material and an overall modernization. An abbreviated list of changes from the preface is: vector orientation is replaced with raster orientation; SGP replaced with SRGP and SPHIGS; User Interfaces; Nurbs; Increased coverage of rengering; advanced raster graphics architectures and algorithms; and a brief introduction to animation.

i would advise you to wait.
My teacher told me that the third edition will come within 6 months..
so it would be pretty silly to buy it now..

I would recommend "Real-time Rendering" (RTR) by Tomas Moller and Eric Haines as a good alternative to the Foley book. RTR is a current book.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.