I need help !!! Making RPG.....

Started by
8 comments, last by smurf_killa 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi there! I''m kinda trying to make an RPG/RTS kinda game, where its an RTS with RPG, kinda like Diablo 2, but not like that, more of an imaginationish-RPG game......... Anyways.... Can anyone help me find some tools to create this thing? I dont know CGI, but i can try and learn, but what I want to do is to find a good chat room where people can make their own private rooms, cause I can''t have people bothering others while their playing.... Does anyone know where I can get this kind of stuff ?Or have any suggestions as to what i should do ? Thanks!
The Smurf''s mocking you again?Who you gonna Call ? Smurf_Killa !!!!!
Advertisement
I don''t think i follow exactly what you''re looking for. I mean.. what is it that you want? Do you want a web-based game? that''s all CGI is used for.
What do you want to accomplish? that''ll help determine what you need.

J
Well, if you guys know what starcraft is or what Warhammer is, I'm trying to create a game like that, but word for picture....
So it can't be much turn based, but players can interact in the RPG environment, picking up items, upgrading n' stuff like that.

**correction : It is turn based, the players take turns controlling their units...but its not an actual visual game, word for pic !

Edited by - smurf_killa on January 27, 2001 9:27:54 AM
The Smurf''s mocking you again?Who you gonna Call ? Smurf_Killa !!!!!
quote:Original post by Niphty

I don''t think i follow exactly what you''re looking for. I mean.. what is it that you want? Do you want a web-based game? that''s all CGI is used for.
What do you want to accomplish? that''ll help determine what you need.

J

Just a little correction here, CGI is never used in online games, online games use either Java, java-script, Director or Flash. CGI is actually used mainly to manipulate forms. That''s the main purpose...

No offense...

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
[Cyberdrek | ]
If you mean a purely text based game, you should take a look at www.mudconnect.com

You need to learn to progam. Go and buy visual C++ 6.0 and come back in 2 years.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

CGI could be used to create a web based game, if it is all text and turn based, however PHP would work a bit better for this purpose since it''s much easier to code in while being just as powerful, but I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than to try something like this with either language.

Take BB''s advice and learn C++ or perhaps Java, since that might work for your purposes as well, and would make it a bit easier to do the network stuff.

gl
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!
I could be wrong, but I think the poster might have meant CGI as in ''computer graphics'' (a term used more by the movie-making people) rather than Common Gateway Interface used by web-types.
I should add that smurf_killa should try doing a search for ''Rpg maker'' or ''rpg construction kit'' etc. This is about the only way you''re going to be able to make a game like that if you don''t know what you''re doing... when people come along and say "I''d like to make Diablo 2, except better", don''t they think that whoever programmed Diablo 2 (Blizzard?) would have liked to have made Diablo 2, except better? The fact is, it''s nearly impossible to do.
>CGI is actually used mainly to manipulate forms.
>That's the main purpose...
Rubbish.

CGI is a gateway so that programming languages such as Perl and PHP can respond to user events from the browser. You can do a lot more than just handle forms - and yes, you can write games with it.

It certainly wasn't designed with forms being it's main aim.

Eight

Edited by - Eight on February 1, 2001 5:23:06 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement