Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Entity List

This topic is 6166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve started working on an rpg and I have come to a huge problem. It needs to handle all kinds of items and world entities, and I want to have them in llists. The problem is that I have a class torch(just an example) that looks like this: class torch { public: void update(); private: bool lit; int fuel; } void torch::update() { if(lit == true) { fuel--; } if(fuel == 0) { lit == false; } } and I have a llist like this: typedef struct { void *data; void *prev; void *next; } LList; and I do this: LList *entitylist; entitylist->prev = NULL; entitylist->next = NULL; entitylist->data = (torch *)malloc(sizeof(torch)); entitylist->data->update(); vc++ says "left of ->update must point to class/struct/union", can someone PLEASE help me. This is VERY important.

That''s because LList::data is of type void*. Void* does not know what it points to, it does not know that it actually points to a class with update() method.
Simpliest way to solve this is to typecast LList::data to correct type:

((torch*)(entitylist->data))->update();

It is also the wrong way to do it. It won''t solve the problem in the long run. Imagine you add a second object type... umm, beer mug. So, when you traverse your list you won''t know which node points to which object. To solve this you declare a base class with a virtual update() method and inherit all your entities from it:

class CEntity
{
public:
virtual void update() = 0;
// = 0 means it''s a pure virtual,

// cannot be instantiated

// can only be used as a base for some other class

};

// torch is an entity

class torch : public CEntity
{
public:
virtual void update();
private:
bool lit;
int fuel;
};

void torch::update(){
if(lit == true) {
fuel--;
}
if(fuel == 0) {
lit == false;
}
};

// CBeerMug is an entity too

class CBeerMug : public CEntity
{
public:
virtual void update();
private:
void Refill() { // code here }

void Sip() { // code here }

private:
long m_lBeerLeft;
};

void CBeerMug::update()
{
if(m_lBeerLeft <= 0)
Refill();

Sip();
}

// both torch and CBeerMug are of type CEntity

// so, if you have a pointer to CEntity

// it can point to any class inherited from

// CEntity, either torch or CBeerMug

CEntity* pEntity = new torch;
pEntity->update();
delete pEntity;
pEntity = NULL;

pEntity = new CBeerMug;
pEntity->update();
delete pEntity;
pEntity = NULL;

This might not compile as is, but it should give you an idea.

You also might want to consider changing next and prev pointers to LList*. Using void* pointer is not type safe, avoid it if you can.

A couple more things:
- make sure you allocate list node before you use it
- you should use new new/delete to allocate/deallocate classes, not malloc/free.

Happy coding!

first of all, thank you very much for the code. I''m a little new to c++(not C, just c++) and it may take a while before I fully understand what you have told me.

Second, *before* I posted this, I fixed LList to be:

typedef struct {
void *data;
LList *prev;
LList *next;
} LList;

Third, what did you mean by "you should use new new/delete to allocate/deallocate not malloc/free", I don''t know what you are talking about. How do I use new/delete?

new and delete are two operators in C++ that replace C''s malloc() and free(). I find they (new and delete) are much better/more reliable/don''t cause as many problems/cause as many access violations as malloc and free.

int *foo = new int; // Allocate mem

//use foo here

delete foo; // clear memory

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

''When in doubt, empty your magazine.'' - Murphy''s Combat Law