Getting published..

Started by
15 comments, last by frob 18 years ago
I understand that a publisher is more likely to finance a almost complete game than just a demo. It's a smaller risk for them. But is it the most usual way of getting published? I mean, making an almost complete game. Or is it more usual that teams present just a demo, containing maybe one level or so from the actual game. Also, do publishers even care about the underlaying code? Or are they satisfied if the game looks very good and has market value?
Advertisement
Quote:Also, do publishers even care about the underlaying code? Or are they satisfied if the game looks very good and has market value?

I doubt they really care, just so long as it works and people but it. As far as getting a publishing deal goes you will most likely have more luck with a more complete game.
A publisher will not finance for anything unless it comes from a studio with a proven track record of games shipped. If you are not in this position, you may get lucky if you have a strong business plan et al, a strong team and a shit-hot license to develop...even then, they would want to place someone with experience at the helm in order to make sure the game gets developed as and how they want it and on time.
evelyn is pretty much spot on. Unless you have a proven track record you won't get publisher funding. In fact some publishers won't fund a start-up even if all the team have proven track records - their risk profile is so strict that they won't work with a company unless that actual team have finished a game together.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
What if you just send Activision a 100% complete AA game?
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
succinctly asked: "What if you just send Activision a 100% complete AA game?"

Then you can expect a 10% chance that they might decide to publish it. (The odds are 9-to-1 that they will decide not to.) http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This seems to be the same problem as the: "you need X experience before working here" problem. But some how you need to get the experience. How do you do this? Well you just apply anyways of course! You find someone willing to take the risk or show them that you are able to do it. Im sure If you walked up to a smaller publisher with a 100% completed game that had a target audience, they would see that all the production costs have already been bypassed and all they have to do it market to the extent they want. For a cut of the royalties I dont see why a publisher would not be interested if it was a solid game (which is the main problem). Apply for the job if you know how to do it already, and if you already have the job done... well, they are stupid for not taking you.. ask the next person.
Quote:Original post by Succinct
What if you just send Activision a 100% complete AA game?
"Just send it" actually translates into...
1. Contact the company and find out who handles submissions (getting a contact name can be surprisingly difficult)
2. Sending in a well presented submission, with the appropriate support materials or managing to get a meeting (at GDC for example) to pitch your game
3. Pitching it/presenting it in such a way that the publisher can clearly understand what makes the game special.
4. Negotiating a deal if they like it.

That of course is still the easy part. You actually have to make a AAA game before you can send it anywhere.
www.obscure.co.uk
Yes, by "send" I meant properly submit. This is good news, as, from my perspective, the game dev is the easy part. Obscure, do you have contacts w/ the smaller publishing houses?
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Quote:Original post by Succinct
Yes, by "send" I meant properly submit. This is good news, as, from my perspective, the game dev is the easy part. Obscure, do you have contacts w/ the smaller publishing houses?

I have contacts with a wide range from EA, Capcom and THQ all the way down to the small single territory publishers. Did you have a specific question about small publishers?

[Edited by - Obscure on March 29, 2006 11:30:16 AM]
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement