ds dev

Started by
5 comments, last by BrioCyrain 18 years ago
what are the chances of getting an indie game released on the DS? and how would one go about doing that?
Advertisement
1) Very very low.

2) Make a very good demo/complete game using homebrew tools and public documentation (which is very incomplete - this makes an already difficult task that much harder). By very good demo/game I mean it has to be professional, i.e. well designed and executed, polished graphics, audio, controls, and user interfaces.
As stated elsewhere in lots of other threads on this forum, you must *be* a studio in order for them to publish your game. There is no way around it.

Nintendo doesn't do business with any teen or college student who wants to make a game. They work with established studios, either aligned with a publisher or indie.

The big companies are very risk averse. Your game must be ready to publish as-is, or need only tiny changes to meet their (fairly strict) requirements. If your program isn't at that point, you absolutely must have some significant experienced talent on your team and expect to put up a lot of your own money in exchange for a not-too-lucrative first publishing deal.
The best way would be to get a groundbreaking demo released into the public and show it off to anyone and everyone that is involved in the gaming business somehow.
I'm going to be working on a homebrew DS game in a professional manner with another programmer. The aim isn't just to get a game up and running and sold off to a studio...it would be nice if the studio considered hiring us for DS stuff and we'd do DS work that way.

In between taking on contacts for mobile, flash, small games, etc, so we can have a roof over our heads and food.

Crazy plan? Badly considered?
I think that's a much more reasonable goal than many people that post on here. Doing homebrew work and expecting that you'll be able to ship or sell your game is very unlikely. But when we're hiring people to work on projects, it helps a LOT if you've worked on that platform before. Having a DS demo (created using homebrew or not) is a great centerpiece in your portfolio.
I think DS would be a VERY COMPLEX for an idie team to get a title out at a reasonable schedule, but that's just me. You are dealing with two screens instead of one for one thing, and the lower screen is touch-enabled. I wouldn't even think about making a DS game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement