Most suitable, easy to use free Database software

Started by
14 comments, last by Takaloy 18 years ago
SQLite isn't really meant for deployment on the web though...is it?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
google in action - mysql vs. postgresql

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,150 for "mysql sucks". (0.45 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 472 for "mysql rocks". (0.32 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 60 for "postgresql sucks". (0.58 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 361 for "postgresql rocks". (1.28 seconds)

postgresql is clearly the winner here.

taking this post seriously may be hazardous to your health.
This space for rent.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Like most things, it depends. It's concurrent write preformance is dismal, since it looks the whole database (file). For read-only or single writer (say a blog) systems, it should be sufficient.

Because you don't need a DBMS daemon running, it's also possible to use it on hosts that don't have a database server. Plus, administration is trivial - creating and deleting files is all you need to do.

I have no idea how well it scales with concurrent readers, though.

There's also an ASP.NET adapter that works well enough for my purposes.
As you're already mentioning ASP.NET, I guess that you'll be using the .NET framework for you're application. So I'd definitely go with SQL Server Express and the Visual Web Developer Express Edition. SQL Express integrates really well with the IDE. You can even Execute managed code in the Database itself. For example you can have a trigger on a table execute managed code (I haven't tried this myself yet though. But it is definitely a cool feature if you're not a DB Programmer). As you mentioned XML: There is a special XML Datatype in SQL Server Express. Also I haven't used that too, It is certainly interesting to by able to easily store and retrieve XML data.
Quote:Original post by Promit

PHP 5 includes built in support for SQLite (relevant PHP manual page).

Though as jdhardy mentioned it's more suitable for a smaller site. In this case, a web service for a university society, it might be a viable option.
wow. thanks alot for all your opinions. I think I'll go for SQL express, but will have a look at other too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement