Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost within

What do i need to get started? (2d/iso)

I program in c++ and want to get into game development (ive been making tetris clones etc. already), i am looking for a good book on it right now but was wondering if anyone could list resources that may help me. such as: online texts, online books (inhtml or pdf formator whatever), engines, libraries (especially those), API, graphics, etc. BY THE WAY: the project i am ready to program is a small isometric and/or tile-based(birds-eye view) rpg with turn-based combat and 16-bit type graphics (as long as you can tell what things are thats all that i care about at this time) would 2d overhead be that much easier than isometric? (if at all) much thanks for any help.

There's a "New? Start here" link on the main gamdev page... not sure if that's the kind of stuff you're looking for.

Auran is currently on beta1 of a some promising game development software, called Jet. Uses OpenGL, is an OOD, and the plan is for it to be multi-platform some day.

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on January 27, 2001 10:03:43 PM

It will look fine in 16 bit. Age of Empires only used an 8 bit color palette. Also, I think 8 bit bitmaps are easier to work with but that''s just my opinion.