Oblivion

Started by
282 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years ago
Well, I picked up Oblivion last night after work. My experience with the game so far has been largely wonderful. I guess the best way to describe it would be to say that it is a shaped, refined, and perfected Morrowind - fighting enemies is now great fun (the last thud of an arrow sending an imp tumbling to the ground never gets old), the user interface is more organized, the worlds are even more beautifully detailed, the NPCs are much more convincing, there are a better variety of useful items to be found in quests (I'm referring to the near-lack of anything good anywhere in the secret areas in Morrowind), and the customization of your main character is far more involved. I was afraid that they'd change the best aspects of Morrowind in some way, but I haven't been the slightest disappointed yet. There were a few graphical glitches/inconsistencies when I first played the game, but those seem to have disappeared entirely. If you liked Morrowind, you'll love Oblivion, and if you hated Morrowind, you'll probably hate Oblivion just as much. If you were one of those whom thought Morrowind had potential but could be better, I think Oblivion is worth a try. </terribly biased summary of Oblivion> Go buy it!
Advertisement
I didnt pick it up yet.

Ive read the interface is terrible, basically only a console interface. Nothing resizable, cant remap keys, etc.
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
I didnt pick it up yet.

Ive read the interface is terrible, basically only a console interface. Nothing resizable, cant remap keys, etc.

It is true that they took out Morrowind's faux-window manager system. Windows are now of a set size, but scale according to resolution.

However, whoever told you that you can't remap keys is talking out of the wrong hole and has never even played the game.
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
I didnt pick it up yet.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'console interface'.

I'm not too big on customizing interfaces and setting up hot keys in games, although I am aware that many people are. I generally take the interface as-is, at least when it seems well designed (which I consider Oblivion's to be). I can see how the lack of re sizable/placeable might annoy some people though.

I think the interface is pretty different than the classic RPG interface, especially for inventory, but I also think it is far more efficient. Dragging and dropping items into slots and moving and resizing windows is annoying and pointless, and prone to sloppiness on the user's part. I love Oblivion's inventory style and interface layout. Everything is guaranteed not to get in the way of anything else, or at least that's how it's functioned for me so far.

As far as not being able to remap keys, I'm not entirely sure what you mean either. There are a number of functions you can set different keys/mouse buttons for, and you can assign weapons, spells, and items to different numbers on the keyboard.
I envy you. I preordered mine from Amazon.com but they've apparently just started "processing" my order to be shipped. When I placed my order weeks ago they told me it would arrive by today, but it looks like it might not even be shipped until tomorrow or Friday.

I guess I've learned my lesson. :(

So what race/class are you playing? And what have they done as far as customizing your appearance?
How about for those who loved daggerfall but found morrowind to be disappointing?
Anyone played it on the 360 yet ? I'm afraid the game will suck strictly because of the interface/controls.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
Anyone played it on the 360 yet ? I'm afraid the game will suck strictly because of the interface/controls.

Did you play Morrowind on the XBox? While clunky, I don't feel the controls seriously detracted from the game.

Of course, I have no idea how Oblivion works on the PC, so how Morrowind behaved may well have absolutely no bearing what so ever.

CM
Has anyone tried it with wine or cedega yet?
I'm well jealous. I've been hyping up big time for Oblivion for about a month and its release date is 24th in the UK. i'm going to be first in the store! WOOO not tomorrow... but the day after. And guess what, i won't play it on the friday but savour the moment till saturday!

Oh yea, I got it all planned out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement